Find
Notify
Tools

Stuck Bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
BOOM
Hey guys have a question and need and ans,A friend of mine, friend has a 223 bold action rifle well some one give him some reloads and he was going to shoot them he threw one in the breach went to go slam the bolt shut and the shell is stuck, but cant close the bolt all the way we have tryed every thing that we can think of do they make a tool or does anyone have any ideals thanks

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesIf I understand what you are saying it sounds like that special tool is a large rubber mallet..Than all you may have to do is remove the stuck projectile. shockerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a bullet is stuck, sometimes hitting it with a hard rod can wedge it in worse.

If this starts to happen fill a couple inches of oil in the muzzle over the bullet and hit the rod with a hammer, and the rod hits the oil. Hydraulic forcer through the oil will push the bullet out with out wedging it into the bore any worse.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hatsfield:
BOOM
Hey guys have a question and need and ans,A friend of mine, friend has a 223 bold action rifle well some one give him some reloads and he was going to shoot them he threw one in the breach went to go slam the bolt shut and the shell is stuck, but cant close the bolt all the way we have tryed every thing that we can think of do they make a tool or does anyone have any ideals thanks

Is just the bullet stuck or are we talkin' about a live round here?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Roger I think he did that already, And I will let him know about the oil in the muzzle, and yes its a live round, but hey guys thanks for the feedback, I will let you know what happen,s thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I hope what doesn't happen is what happened here couple of years ago.
At an organized shoot a fella was bumping a live round out from the muzzle with the bolt out and the round went off and killed a woman standing behind the rifle.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eeker Would you go into details, please?

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was as simple as it sounds. A stuck live round. They got the bolt out and started pounding on a cleaning rod down the muzzle.

Someones Mrs was right behind the action when the round went off and the case hit her in the stomach.

Apparently/maybe the bullet compacted the powder and maybe a granual or two acting through the flash hole jarred the primer enough to set it off.

Our clubs now MUST use a case puller from the chamber end.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could you describe the "case puller". It's hard to see how you could grab the case.
A cleaning rod is a disaster waiting to happen. What is needed is a drill rod as close to bore size as available. You should be in a safe location and wear ear muffs. This is a dangerous situation.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never bothered to look closely, but it was a long tool that went up the action, presumably got a good all round grip on the rim (as opposed to just the extractor) and then I imagine the tool was screwed out against the surounding chamber or action.

Heck, I 've never needed one, but a few people even carry one in the field if they have the likelyhood of a head seperation, but that is to get the rest of the case out.
Never needed one of them either.

Where are all the AR gunsmiths? Help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
Eeker Would you go into details, please?
BOOM
The bullet was sized with a set of lee collect dies and had been fired a singl shot H R. then reloaded and was given to my friend, he took the reloads and loaded them into his rifle, We asumed he loaded it to fast the case stoped about a one quater inch out ,we undrestand that the bullet did not have a hard crimp. When we tryed lighty tapping on a claning rod, we felt the bullet go back to the powder, case did not move. We now have and ideal WE thank by filling the barrel two to three inches of oil using a cleaning rod and a patch to tighting the bore, may be able to tap out using preasure like you would a throw out bearring thank you guys for your input

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Well, if the gun came to me with a live round stuck in the chamber, and it happens occasionally, If I can't get the extractor to pull it, I might stuff a rag in the ejection port and try pushing it out with a hard wood dowel from the muzzle end.

The rag would act as a cushion and protect the primer if the round should come loose. If a light tap on the dowel won't move it, then I will pull the barrel and remove it that way.

I have had live rounds "so jammed" that I've had to drill the brass case in order to flood the powder with WD-40. I've had to hacksaw the head off, right past the primer in order to gain access to the bullet. I've had to mount barrels in the lathe to machine the brass away from the bullet.

When they get this bad, I'm usually removing all the other broken crap that the owner has shoved down the bore i.e., fishing rods, dowels, cleaning rods etc., during his attempt at removing the jammed round.

In this business it is sometimes hilarious to see the extent folks are willing to go before seeking help. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
Roll EyesIf I understand what you are saying it sounds like that special tool is a large rubber mallet..Than all you may have to do is remove the stuck projectile. shockerroger

oxx{}====>My old man is like ur old man, had alot of old sayings, heres one for u. Stupid people should'nt breed, the world would be full of smarter people. Got kids ???<===={}xxo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bartsche, you have a serial detractor. sofa

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
bartsche, you have a serial detractor. sofa

Nasty little bugger isn't he. 2 posts so far and both attacking bartsche.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well, we've never met formally, but I suspect bartsche can take the critter in stride.

Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be very careful using a hacksaw to cut into the brass in the vicinity of the primer. I wanted to examine a primer that failed to ignite so after removing the bullet and powder, I was hacksawing through the case to release the primer. "BANG". I Was quite surprised that I had generated enough heat to detonate the primer.
Be very careful.........

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMJ:
Be very careful using a hacksaw to cut into the brass in the vicinity of the primer. I wanted to examine a primer that failed to ignite so after removing the bullet and powder, I was hacksawing through the case to release the primer. "BANG". I Was quite surprised that I had generated enough heat to detonate the primer.
Be very careful.........

You are very lucky that you didn't have powder in the way. Some situations don't lend themselves very well to removing the powder charge in order to disable a round while attempting to remove it. So at times like that, one would be wise to seek the advice or services of a professional.

FWIW, next time, after you have pulled the bullet and dumped the powder, run the empty case in a full length sizer and let the decap pin remove the primer. It's alot safer that way.
thumb

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rock_Steady:
quote:

oxx{}====>My old man is like ur old man, had alot of old sayings, heres one for u. Stupid people should'nt breed, the world would be full of smarter people. Got kids ???<===={}xxo

Is this the reincarnation of varmint guy? Eekerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Is this the reincarnation of varmint guy? Eekerroger

Could be, or maybe he's one of his kids.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could be, or maybe he's one of his kids.

animal

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
In this business it is sometimes hilarious to see the extent folks are willing to go before seeking help.

Its not just the gunsmithing business, believe me....

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 23 April 2007 13:02 Hide Post
It was as simple as it sounds. A stuck live round. They got the bolt out and started pounding on a cleaning rod down the muzzle.

Someones Mrs was right behind the action when the round went off and the case hit her in the stomach.

Apparently/maybe the bullet compacted the powder and maybe a granual or two acting through the flash hole jarred the primer enough to set it off.

Our clubs now MUST use a case puller from the chamber end.

In that case I believe the primer did not fire. It was the rod impact on the powder that set this round off.

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whatever. My only real point was that it can be dangerous to pound out a live stuck round from the muzzle.

But as some of my reloads remind me I forgot the primer, by dribbling powder over my bench, and as primers are impact sensitive, why do you think it would be the powder??

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
Whatever. My only real point was that it can be dangerous to pound out a live stuck round from the muzzle.
, and as primers are impact sensitive, why do you think it would be the powder??

Roll EyesJust a possibility!!!

Ball powder in a case tends to present a hydraulic affect when pressurized or impacted. in seating bullets and compressing the ball powder I have moved out the primers.

It is possible than, that impacting the bullet into the powder the energy could be transfered to the anvil in the primer which would pinch the priming material between it and the primer body. Never saw it happen but I can envision it happening. Doubt if this is possible with extruded powders. beerroger

posted Hide Post
quote:

BOOM craigster,bartsche,tincan im nem to the internet iwas told by good friend that this web site had knowlegable people but what im seeing is afew people that feel that since they have all the knowledge should be less a A11 first of all if you all have all the knowledge way dont youall help. wiskey has all ways been cheap youall need to stop breeding we all know that one of us is stupid stupid is as stupid dose and by the way me and my son and two nepewes serve this land got kids???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

BOOM craigster,bartsche,tincan im nem to the internet iwas told by good friend that this web site had knowlegable people but what im seeing is afew people that feel that since they have all the knowledge should be less a A11 first of all if you all have all the knowledge way dont youall help. wiskey has all ways been cheap youall need to stop breeding we all know that one of us is stupid stupid is as stupid dose and by the way me and my son and two nepewes serve this land got kids???

Thanks for your input and welcome!. The last village idiot we had moved out a while back and we have all been anxiously waiting for a replacement. Judging from the above post you seem to be well qualified to replace him. Keep up the good work, you're off on the right foot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but what im seeing is afew people that feel that since they have all the knowledge

you certainly couldn't put me in the crowd that knows anything- but thanks; other than that, squat on a lightbulb.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

BOOMBOOM lefty mgun craigster,bartsche,tincan im nem to the internet iwas told by good friend that this web site had knowlegable people but what im seeing is afew people that feel that since they have all the knowledge should be less a A11 first of all if you all have all the knowledge way dont youall help. wiskey has all ways been cheap youall need to stop breeding we all know that one of us is stupid stupid is as stupid dose and by the way me and my son and two nepewes serve this land got kids???

Is that You,VG? rotflmo We sure missed you. Razzer Please give us another shot. saluteroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

donttrollHey rock_steady I hope that most of the feedback helped you out, with the problem that our friend was haveing, dont let the three stooges get to you, their just haveing a little fun later.................

one of us
posted Hide Post
A gunsmith I used to work for had a neat tool for this. The easiest way to explain it is it is like a vinyl coated cleaning rod with a T handle on the end. The other end had a threaded cup. He had these in several diameters. He would insert the rod into the barrel, "screw" it onto the bullet and then remove the rod, bringing the bullet with it. Then just dump the powder, use oil to kill the primer and then easily remove the stuck case.
He was a very good machinest and made the rods himself, the sprayed them with a vinyl coating.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
Well I hope what doesn't happen is what happened here couple of years ago.
At an organized shoot a fella was bumping a live round out from the muzzle with the bolt out and the round went off and killed a woman standing behind the rifle.

I was about to say "leave the bolt in the gun, and don't permit anyone to stand BEHIND the gun or in front of the muzzle while trying to dislodge the round! I have heard of people being injured by a cartridge case blowing out of the breech under similar circumstances here in the U.S. as well.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by congomike:
A gunsmith I used to work for had a neat tool for this. The easiest way to explain it is it is like a vinyl coated cleaning rod with a T handle on the end. The other end had a threaded cup. He had these in several diameters. He would insert the rod into the barrel, "screw" it onto the bullet and then remove the rod, bringing the bullet with it. Then just dump the powder, use oil to kill the primer and then easily remove the stuck case.
He was a very good machinest and made the rods himself, the sprayed them with a vinyl coating.
beer hey`congomike thanks for the reply do you know what the name of the tool is and where can we buy this tool, thanks roger

one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Simple procedure.
Cut a close fitting rod to a length which will allow it to project about an inch from the front of the barrel. Make sure the end going into the barrel is cleaned up so no ragged metal to muck up the rifling.
Get a woodworkers door clamp and drill a small dimple in the one jaw which will act as a locating hole for the protruding rod.
With the bolt removed, put a chunk of brass at the back of the action or machine a brass plug which will fit on the action with a piece out (this just protects the action from being scratched or dinged) that you can locate the other jaw of the clamp.
Slowly crank up the clamp and the round will pop out of the chamber with no fuss.

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smilerhey 500Nitro I will let him know, and thank you all for your in put for the most of every one who replyed except for a few we thank you and hey and thanks I am finely one of you Ye Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!