New
Find
Notify
Tools

P-17, what to make
 Login/Join

<CARR4570>
posted
I am getting a P-17 and I was wondering if there was ever a "classic" rechambering caliber? Like for instance the 300HH or 375HH etc. If anyone has any info I would be interested in hearing about it. Or if you have rechambered one let me know what you did to it. Thanks much.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I've got a 458 lott barrel and reamer, if you want one... and 500 jeffe is perfect (what I am working with right now)
jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe'
How much $ for the Lott barrel? Reply via my email in my profile if you don't mind.
45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The P-17 is one of the few actions that can be used to make something BIG. Make a 500 something. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
45nut
email sent,

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes my favorite!!!! If you do not like a counter bore like me fit the 17 with a 14 bolt. you get more case head suport this way and it is easy. Some people go as far as the .505 Gibbs with this action but this is kind of pushing it a bit. Now somthing like a Rigby, no problem but go to a drop mag so you can get 4 and 1 when loaded. Cleaned up you can have a very nice looking rifle reminisant of the 720 Remington, but hopefully with a nicer stock. The Enfields are much under rated but from the ugly duckling, with a little work, can come the Swan. If you need help or info please call or Email me. # 207-938-3595 or Email at theworkshop@tds.net I would be glad to help.

Posts: 130 | Location: St. Albans Maine | Registered: 29 June 2003Reply With Quote
<CARR4570>
posted
Some of the basic work has already been done. You know taking the ears off and tapping for a scope. I believe it is an eddystone but I'm not sure because the scope mounts cover the area that says that. Is the eddystone that much more difficult to work on than the other two? Would it take much work to get something like a 404 into that action? I was contemplating that one. Thanks for the input thus far. I was also contemplating the Lott, good first suggestion.

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
The Eddystone has a shakey reputation for quality. There are people here that know more than I on the subject. I've learned that some are brittle and some are just fine. The problem came from the forge operators overheating the billets to crank them out faster. I built a 30-378 on a P-17 Eddystone, but that was before I knew the Eddystones were questionable. So I sent the whole barreled action, stripped of course, to 300 below for a chrogenic treatment. I loaded a couple of hot rounds and test fired it. It held fine, so I shot it. It was very easy to get sub moa with several loads. I built a new magazine that would hold 3 rounds.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eddyston P-14 and P17 are great actions contrary to some may say. It has been said that the front reciever can crack. This is only true if the barrel is removed without proper support for the action. In reality this can happen with any action. The eddystones are incrediably hard and drilling and tapping can be "GREAT FUN". I used an Eddystone for my .366 D.G.W. and did not even hesitate they are great and due to some bad publisity usually a real bargan compaired to the Winchester and Remington offerings. Also you will usually find the Eddystones to have better machining
You might build a .416 Rigby these actions are great for that, or you could build a .366 D.G.W. if you want flat shooting and huge amounts of energy at any range.

Your Friend
Jud

Posts: 130 | Location: St. Albans Maine | Registered: 29 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know I keep flirting with the P17 action. Do you know where I could find one particularly a Winchester?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
re: hardness of Eddystones -- very true. My 'smith told me that mine was eating cheap carbide bits when he was recountouring the rear bridge. The Remington receiver was much nicer for him.

The sky is the limit with these monster actions. I couldn't get over the massiveness when compared to a standard 98. Talk about overbuilt.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30 cal --

FAC (www.gunsnstuff.com) has barrelled actions.

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd-

Thank you for your response however, I am afraid I cannot find the reference to the P-17 barrelled actions that you mention at that web-site. All I was able to get were a bunch pictures.

Am I using the link incorrectly or could you redirect me to the information that you were mentioning.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30 Cal,

watch auctionarms.com and gunbroker.com, they come up once in a while. A few months back I could have bought a 17 win and a 17 Rem for 300 bucks, but had one of my stupid attacks and passed. Just bought last month a 1917 win from local shop for 125, lots of work already done to it.

I think that the Remingtons are supposed to be the best as they don't have the duck pond in the bridge.

I still haven't decided on cartridge either. I found a really great gunsmith that is willing to do the work on the action for me, fill the duckpond etc., when I get the money. I was thinking 375H&H, but since they are factory chambered by so many people was also thinking of doing something like a 404. Luckily the speed at which my money comes in gives me lots of time to think. :-)

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duck pond on the rear bridge, I like that. It always seemed a shame to fill it in as it took time to carve it. I am building one rifle where I contoured the rear simular to a Square bridge Mauser and made a scope mount that fit the "pond". I made a front "Square bridge" which was soldered into place on the front reciever ring. Now you flip up two levers and lift off the scope. I have not done it yet But intend to make a peep sight that will fit into the "Pond" and lock in place when the lever is pushed back down.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a creative way to work with it, very unique. I don't like it myself so hadn't thought of anything like that. I'd like to see some pics of the one you do with the peep that locks down, once you have done it.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see that too, Judson. I'm always interested in p14/17 stuff. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote