New
Find
Notify
Tools

Actions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Where can I buy a new or used 70, or 700 action??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownells has new Rem 700 and CZ Mauser actions
The easiest (and often cheapest) way is to buy a complete rifle and strip it for the receiver

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hglass,

I just answered your question "what action to build a .338" at 24hr.

Why do you want to "build" a .338?

The thing to do is to buy whatever complete rifle you like in that cartridge and try it out and modify it only by exception. Now that's the common sense of it. If you want something to brag about that you spent a lot of money on your not going to impress me.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, you have serious delusions that someone really cares what you think.
Besides the fact that it is none of your damned business why anyone wants to build a rifle, you are a completely unbelievable ass to think you have a right to criticize how he goes about it in any way. I'm thinking I'm not the only one who thinks that about you by now.
Of course, your one man campaign to put Remington out of business by running them down every chance you get is just icing on the cake.
Let's see now, first (that I was aware of) there were the belted magnums bashing craze, now the Remington bashing craze, what is your next campaign planned for? Besides just being irritating, I mean?

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage99,

It appears that you have a real problem with anyone spending money to get a gun of their choice. As I remember one of the last big runs we had was on D'Arcy Echols rifles.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hglass, your best bet would be the auction sites for a complete rifle, you can part it out and sell the unwanted parts. I like AuctionArms and Gunbroker.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hglass,

Sorry I didn't answer your question, I got a little distracted.

If you shop around, you can find Remingtons and the new classic model 70's on sale for substantial savings. Sometimes around here, you can pick up a Rem 700 ADL for as low as $349. Buy a whole gun, sell off the parts or see if your smith will give you a bit of credit towards work and you'll have a cheap action. This is quite often the cheapest way to get a new, reliable action.

However, if you have access to gunshows, I quite often buy donor rifles at gunshows for a song, as long as the action is in good shape. In the last year I have seen several Rem. 700's at gunshows for around $249-300 with very sound actions in the old style, which I prefer. Your tastes may vary. A little dickering can make some of these a very good deal indeed. I've also found Pre 64 model 70's at shows for around $350-400 in very servicable condition.

Be sure to do one thing, though. Make sure you take any rifle out of it's stock and check for pitting below the stockline before plunking down your money. Sometimes there is a reason those guns are so cheap! If a seller won't let you do this, walk away quickly! I've found some real great looking actions that the seller has oiled, waxed, and otherwise spruced up, that was terribly pitted and unservicable below the woodline. Pay no attention to the barrel and stock as those will be replaced anyway. Just make sure the action, bottom metal, and trigger are complete and in good working order.

Also, check out the gunlist if you have a chance. Many actions are advertised there for good prices and they are usually in very good shape. Just be very sure what you are shopping for and ask lots of questions. Good luck on your project- I've got 2 338's and the custom Pre 64 model 70 I had made up is my favorite firearm.- Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
It's almost exclusively a matter of buying an entire rifle (usually used) and removing the action. Normally the barrel and stock will have little resale value as well.....

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same idea, and two years ago at a gunshow, I got a Rem 700 in 22-250 for $180 to turn into something else.
I thought I might try shooting it, but 2" groups with seating .224" bullets with a .308 seater die is probably not a good test.

Anyway, it gave me time to look at the rifle with the stock off, and I am not impressed.

I have a dozen VZ24s that will get barrels first, as they are more needy and more deserving.

--
A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clark,
I'll give you your original investment of $180 and pay shipping if you want to get rid of it! My e-mail is bsfx@aol.com - Sheiser

posted Hide Post
Shiester...you beat me to it!!
I was going to offer the same.

I'll take Remmy 700 actions all day at $180.00!

Celt

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know the difference between utility and market value.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll go 200.00 for it..

one of us
posted Hide Post
hglass,

When a person is looking for an "action" but is not selective enough to know what he wants between two quite dissimilar ones I question that he should step back and find out more.

If your looking for a debate on the merits of such actions or perhaps that of "building" a rifle then go ahead and ask. However to ask where one can get these items makes one wonder. So I suggest you go down to a gunshop and look some guns over and then get back to us.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your help, I'll let everyone know how the project progresses.
As for Savage99, I don't try to impress anyone. I could'nt care less what you thought. You must feel very insecure to think they way you do. What I do I do for myself.