Find
Notify
Tools

Storing Tung Oil and other finishes?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted
I recently purchased some Daly's Benmatte Tung Oil and some Waterlox Original Sealer. I got small containers of each but even though it will take me a little while to use the entire contents. I have some extra empty plastic bottles and was considering pouring off some of the contents into the plastic bottles, filling them to the top. The oils are in metal containers, is this for a reason?

Posts: 885 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the collapsible bottles shown in this picture from Lee Valleys site

The trick is to keep the air from the oil. I also use baby food bottles that have an air-tight seal.

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I use canning jars to stor all my stains and oils.
keep the lid area wiped off and replace the lid when the get bent or crusty.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In truth once you open the can, it is just a matter of time until they set up, no matter what you do...The best thing is to use your cutting torch and fill the space in the can with gas and shut the lid, but again your just buying time IMO....Ben Matte keeps better than most finishes BTW...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Stockmaker Earl Milliron taught me a trick for storing Tru-Oil and Linspeed: Carefully fill the remaining space in the jar with plain old tapwater, nearly to the brim. The Linspeed will seperate from the water and come to the surface, and the water will remain on the bottom.

I've stored my Linspeed and Tru-Oil this way many times, and it works perfectly.

AD

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Get a hand full of kids' marbles. Add them to the can to bring contents up to the top to evacuate all the air and just re-seal it. Add more marbles as you use the finish. That's a long time trick for wood finishes.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually squeeze the bottle until the liquid is at the very top, then put the cover on tight! Might not last forever, but it helps the tung oil last a little longer anyway.

I just got to thinking, if you use one of the Food Saver machines with the attachment for jars, that should work pretty well. Should be just as good as the factory bottles.

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
As soon as I buy the finish I repour into 2 oz. glass jars. One jar will do a couple of stocks if done simultaneously. Otherwise, doing only one you will end up throwing about half a jar away. That's better than tossing 15 ounces of finish. One caveat, store the little jars of finish in a dark place.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote