New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bebarreling to 17 Fireball
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just purchased a Howa Mini rifle in .223 with plans to rebarrel to either a 17 Fireball or 17 Remington. My preference is the Fireball because brass is way easier to find.

Will it be difficult for a smith to get the Fireball to feed and eject properly?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please let me know if this will work. I have a Howa Mini in .222 and this sounds very interesting.

Thanks, Mike

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1070 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never understood the 17 caliber thing. I’ve got a REM 700 Enhanced model in 17 Remington that I bought many years ago. Shot it some and even carried it to SD on a prairie dog shoot. I had much better success with my 222 and my 6mm REM. It been in my safe for a long time.

Had to buy new cleaning rods and tips and brushes, had to cut up patches. Needed a new powder funnel and them bullets are so small, my fingers can’t hardly pick them up!

Too much aggravation for me. I wish you better luck… seriously.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 961 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
ive got a short action M70 winchester in 17 mach 4... same thing, think proprietary... it needs a spacer in the mag box, some ppl will argue this,, and a shorter length follower to make it feed... shoots 20 gr stuff all day, 1 hole.. no recoil... i think the winchester was originally a .223

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't be much of a problem.

Here is an H&R 317(Sako L461 action)in 17-223.......that was re-barrelled to 17 Mach IV.

Proper feeding has never been a problem.

Kevin

Posts: 410 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uncle Grinch,

Wanna trade?

Mike

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1070 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote