Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What to build??
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
Yeah, do the 550

The one glaring ommision in your list is a big bore, 416 is close, but more of a heavy medium.

If you want to stick with a more std bore size, there is the 495 A-square, 416 Weatherby opened up to 50, and shortened to 2 1/2".

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod, you are obviously not a newcomer to guns and yet you commit a neophyte's error. Never, never, never, ever completely fill in the gaps.

You peaked too soon buddy!

It is depressing how many do this.

Take one '09 and do a jam-up 7x57Mauser with mannlicher stock, skeleton grip and buttplate, the works. Even a fancy little escuchteon with your initials. Do a .358 Win with lightweight contour on the other. (Come to think of it, I wonder if anyone has ever worked up a .40 cal on a .308 case?)

The '98 and MkX, hmmm... that .400 Whelen is interesting, or a .35 Whelen, maybe in a synthetic and a 1.5-6x for a boss elk-rig.

Now excuse me I suddenly am in the mood to clean up my shop.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.404 Jeffery It is a classic and kind of odd ball just re harden one of those 1909's

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
GUNSMITH I KNOW JUST DID A 98 FOR THE .265 /.300 WSM HE WAS ABLE TO GET 3 ROUNDS TO FEED FORM THE BOX AND THEN ADDED A GIBB'S MAG TO THE FLOOR PLATE THAT HOLDS 2 ROUND SO YOU CAN GO ANY WAY YOU WANT.

Posts: 13 | Location: LANSING,MICHIGAN | Registered: 23 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of morton3
posted Hide Post
It sounds as though you have quite a few of the bigger calibres.

Perhaps something fast & flat like .220 swift improved or to keep within the `06 popularity stakes. I`ve read some articles over recent years regarding the very fast 22/06.

I don`t think that barrel life would be very long with either of these calibres however.

Have fun deciding, building & shooting that`s the most important thing.

Best of luck

Posts: 124 | Location: Newcastle Australia | Registered: 23 September 2004Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Well

I would consider any of these calibers

6,5X55
6,5X57
7X57
7X64
8X57IS
8X64S
8X68S
9,3X62
9,3X64
404 Jeffery

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Not to sound too bland but on the 1909's I would go with 7x57 in a Mannlicher stock and the other a stalking rifle with octagon barrrel and full length rib in 8x57. Then on the other 98 and Mark X I would leave one in 06 and make the other a 308 both stocken in American Classic with shadow ine cheeck pieces, etc... The above would round out your collection with some classics from both sides of the pond and fill in the holes in your current collection.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Since the 7x57 is already decided on (nice choice, BTW) I like JOHAN ideas of a 6.5x57, or a 9.3x64. I also like the 8x68S. I think you would too. Here's why: I detect a rifle looney in you, which is why you have never owned a plain- vanilla 30-06. You want something you can play with and discover its capabilities. I have had great fun doing this exact thing with .358 NM, 9.3x64, .348 Win., and .450 Alaskan.

If we all wanted the just minimums, we would own a 30-06, a .38 Spcl, and a 12 gauge.

Posts: 597 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
'06 with a nice piece o' wood and some fancy metal.
and then shoot the sh!t outa' it
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I want to thank all of you for your thoughts. Forogt to tell all of you recommending large calibers I just had a heart valve replaced. My surgeon who hunts told be to wait 9-12 months on my 416. So for now large bore is not high on my list. Plus the 416 if fine to shoot but the few times I've shot larger it turns from fun to WORK.

Steve Y. Man I have never peaked. If I get to much over lap I sell or give away. Plus I remarried 3 years ago and she likes to shoot and hunt as much as I do. She is 5'4" and I'm 6'1" so now I get to fill the voids in long and short length stocks. The first project has been decided. It will be for my wife. 7X57 half oct. half round barrel with a Mannlicker stock with the works. I get the fun of building it. The pleasure of seeing her face and the fringe benefits are great.

Like I said I just sold a 35 Whelen barrel and I've taken my 280 wildcat from 6mm to 416 so the various Whelens and Ackleys don't interest me.

On an other site someone suggested one of the WSM. Anyone know how the feed in a 98 or how much work is needed to get them to feed well.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote