New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Blank Dimensions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have access to a couple of butternut trees which according to a book I have should be structurally similar to walnut, only lighter in color. I know nothing about making blanks, but I thought I would try making some (either that, or the wood winds up in my fireplace). Can someone tell me what size a rough stock blank is supposed to be? Also, any recommendations to some ference material on proper curing techniques? Thanks

Ryan

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rough cut from the tree they will be about 32" to 36" long (add another 8" for a manlicher). 2 3/4" to 3" thick and 7 to 8" deep at the butt.

I will quote from Virgil Davis's book GUNSTOCK WOODS AND OTHER FINE TIMBERS, regarding butternut.
"Its soft wood, coarse texture,and large open pores eliminate its wide use as a gunstock material."

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Customstox:

Thanks for the info. The quote from the book strikes me as odd, although I'm not discounting it. What got me thinking about this was I have seen cabinets made from trees taken from the same area which don't show any open pores (I looked at an unfinished area.) Yes, I know cabinets and gun stocks are apples and oranges. I know a local smith who has a stock copier, so I think I'll give it a try anyway after I research a little how to properly cure it.

Ryan

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Customstox,

What should be the size of blank for a SxS double rifle or shotgun?

Saad

Posts: 271 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Big_R,

Being from Minnesota myself and very much into stockmaking I would be very curious as to the Smith is Minnesota who has a duplicator. Do you think you could give me the name of that smith as I've been looking for someone in State with a Duplicator.

-Mike

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big R, I can't really comment on butternut, having never seen it, I was just quoting. He did say in the paragraph that it was widely used for furniture.

Double rifles and shotguns will be the same dimensions, the 3" is plenty wide enough for the forearm.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big_R:
I know a local smith who has a stock copier.

BTT, Ryan I hope you chime in here sometime soon [Smile]

-Mike

mjcayfor@hotmail.com

[ 06-06-2002, 23:39: Message edited by: alvinmack5 ]

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Butternut and popcicle sticks have a lot in common. The color is different but the texture and "figure" is much the same.

<500 AHR>
posted
Unlike Customstox I HAVE experience with Butternut. Butternut is VERY SOFT, in the same class as Basswood. It has light carmel with brown streaking looking somewhat like english walnut and like hickory is open grained (walnut is semi open grained). I cannot imagine it being very good as a stock material. It is very easy to carve though.

Todd E