Find
Notify
Tools

firing in oiled barrel and chamber!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
i've always beleived that it is dangerous to shoot in oiled barrells,but i saw on my new gun oil writen that it could be done and it will not harm the gun!! the gun oil is very light kind made by swedish jaktia!
could it be true?
regards danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A very lightly oiled bore is OK, but don't be surprised if the first shot goes a little "off" from the remainder of the group.

A heavily oiled bore is asking for trouble, as is a chamber with any oil in it....

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Quote:

A very lightly oiled bore is OK, but don't be surprised if the first shot goes a little "off" from the remainder of the group.

A heavily oiled bore is asking for trouble, as is a chamber with any oil in it....

Coldbore is correct about oil in the chamber. (and heavily oiled bores)

The only time oil (very little) in the chamber would be appropriate would be when fire forming wildcat cases with light loads. It allows the case to move back against the bolt face and prevents case stetching. It works! I was instructed to do so by Harry McGowen of McGowen Rifle Barrel Co. Leaving case lube on the cases works also and that is the method I use when fireforming, but one must then make absotively posilutely sure to thoroughly clean the chamber in either case. Definately a no no with full house loads of for any time except fireforming as it increases bolt thrust tranlating into more wear and tear on the action.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oiled chambers in crease bolt thrust about 5%, which is no
problem as actions have from 3 to 8 times safety margins
built in.Don't oil heavy as that can dent the cases.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Actually once the case head moves back it places the same force on the bolt face oiled case or not.
One very real danger is having heavy oil or grease around the neck. This will delay the neck releasing the
bullet and put peak pressure higher.
Good Luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote