New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 527 safety
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know of a swing safety for the 527 to replace the backwards safety they come with?

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'mm pretty sure you are out of luck on that one. I really like the m527 series rifles myownself and studied the design a bit. Both the cocking assembly on the bolt and the safety mechanism on the tang are so much different than a Mauser style setup that I don't think you'll find anything pre- made that will be viable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howard,

I believe Ed LaPour in Bremerton makes a safety for a CZ. Might give him a call, perhaps a lead.

Luck,

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a 527 and have searched this forum and otherwise on the internet without success in finding a replacement model 70 style safety for the 527 series. Several folks (including Ed) list replacement safeties for the 550 series of rifles. I did learn that James Calhoun (of 19 caliber fame) offers both a replacement bolt handle and their own rings which in combination offer you a lower scope mount. If anyone has any experience with the CZ factory single stage trigger (as opposed to the set trigger which is more common), I'd love to hear about it. thanks and good luck.

Posts: 235 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Frith:
Howard,

I believe Ed LaPour in Bremerton makes a safety for a CZ. Might give him a call, perhaps a lead.

Luck,

Stephen

I just talked to Ed, he does not make one for the 527

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gave a couple of thesee to my grandsons...did'nt want them to get used to the backward safety. I cut off the old safety lever, made up that works on the L. side (pull back for on safe forward for off) Silver soldered the new piece to the old shaft.

Not an easy job, but not rocket science either./

A natural to shove the safety to "off" with thumb when mounting the rifle.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see a Sako/Lawson shroud and tang safety :-)

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Duane, Any chance you have a picture of the grandson's rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One should be posted in next day or two

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed Lapour reversed the safety on a CZ for me. Not sure just how he did it.
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many calls for a photo..sorry it took me a while to find it...hope it helps..here the flag is in the "fire" position...rotated rearward for "safe"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane.

Nice job, but that is a m452 rifle.

This thread was about a safety for a 527 center fire- totally different animal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahh....senior moment!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL..

Hard to keep all those triple digit CZ models straight..

One thing is for sure, there was NO "senior moment" involved when you came up with the solution for your boy's m452 safety design.
Wink
Like I it said- looks great.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Ahh....senior moment!

More than one way to shoot yourself in the foot with those CZ safeties Wink

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had the 527 in 7.62x39 for about a week now. This is my first experience with this series of CZ rifles, and I like it quite a bit. The Calhoun bolt handle/scope rings combo are a great improvement (albeit incremental, but that's true of most of this stuff) and their service was outstanding. Other than my anal retentive/OCD quest to have all my safeties function the same way, the factory safety is not bad. Still hoping to see Mr. Wiebe's work on the safetySmiler

Posts: 235 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lucket:
LOL..

Hard to keep all those triple digit CZ models straight..

One thing is for sure, there was NO "senior moment" involved when you came up with the solution for your boy's m452 safety design.
Wink
Like I it said- looks great.

Hey...keeping numbers straight....Thank you for that!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane that's a nice job on the CZ452 safety, have you thought of making them and offering them for sale........a lot of rimfire CZ owners would buy them.

The Brno #1 had the safety toward the rear for fire and forward for safe, but the safety on the #1 swivelled toward the bolt handle on the #1 for safe........Kiwi

one of us
posted Hide Post
The BRNO Fox/ CZ 527 is perhaps the world's most perfect small caliber action.

Well, almost. All it needs is a bolt handle that isn't taller than the scope; a safety that doesn't work in reverse; and a fixed internal double stack magazine that doesn't protrude below the stock line.

Come to think of it, those shortcomings make it a pretty undesirable action -- it's just that there's a severe lack of competition in this action size. The Zastava is affordable but crude, the Oregon Kimber is no longer, and the Sako is both bulkier than its predecessor L461 and is now outrageously expensive. Then there is Cooper, which is a great action, but being both uber-expensive and a single shot to boot, it doesn't enter the competition.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote