Find
Notify
Tools

xbolt Trigger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
XBoltLt by jakefromclemson, on Flickr

I got a Browning Xbolt in the shop with a broken trigger housing. I can't figure out how to get the old one apart to get the components oout. I think the slotted things are pins and not screws. Have any of you taken one of these apart?

Bill Jacobs

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 329 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the other side.

XBoltRt by jakefromclemson, on Flickr

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 329 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
You might be out of luck trying to disassemble the X-Bolt trigger assembly you have. The following advice from an online source.

On older X-bolts you can get the trigger apart by removing some of the pins, but on the newest X-bolts, Browning has made the pins tamper proof. So I would check your trigger before proceeding. The pins on the tamper proof triggers, have what appear to be slotted heads on them, but these are in fact peen marks, to expand the end of the pins, so as not to be able to remove them. Too many issues with people taking them apart and causing damage to the triggers so Browning has started making them this way.

Posts: 3877 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Call browning. They've replaced 3 for us at no cost

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto that.
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Call browning. They've replaced 3 for us at no cost

Posts: 3700 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll call them back on Monday. They actually sent me a trigger housing which you can see out of focus in the pics. I just cannot figure out how to disassemble the broken assembly. I guess I'll have to ask for a complete assembly.

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clemson:
Well, I'll call them back on Monday. They actually sent me a trigger housing which you can see out of focus in the pics. I just cannot figure out how to disassemble the broken assembly. I guess I'll have to ask for a complete assembly.

Surprised Browning sent you a blank trigger housing without asking if the broken one was of the newer type that was made NOT to be disassembled Confused

You need to inform them that the broken one is the newer type for which you need a completely assembled replacement trigger group.

Posts: 3877 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The old trigger housing is worthless it sounds like.

Don't own a hack saw.

Posts: 19428 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They asked for the whole gun back, but, to their credit, they sent me a UPS label.

I'll let you know when it is all resolved.

Bill Jacobs

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is amazing how many guns can be repaired for free by merely calling the service dept and explaining the issue. Browning knows the pot metal trigger housings are fragile crap, and willingly replaces them. I regularly get free replacement parts from a variety of companies. I take advantage of those opportunities as they free me up to spend time on other repairs.

The current industry trend is to make a gun and support it with parts and service for around 5-8 years. Then discontinue it and sell off the parts inventory to a third party. Next, the replacement parts run out. If no one starts making the part or you can't make it you are screwed as is the customer. This is especially true of any gun made in Turkey. Better buy two as you will need one for spares.

(QUOTE]Originally posted by Clemson:
They asked for the whole gun back, but, to their credit, they sent me a UPS label.

Bill Jacobs[/QUOTE]

Posts: 3700 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bill Jacobs

By the way what actually broke on the X-Bolt trigger, can't see anything external broken in the two images of the trigger housing you posted, was it internal?
I have a Browning X-Bolt in 7mmWSM and have replaced the main trigger spring with an aftermarket one to bring the trigger pull down from the minimum 4lb to 2lb. The triggers on the X-Bolts are perfect but a little heavy at 4lb, 2lb is ideal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's hard to see in the photos, but the X-bolt has a tang safety, and the entire tang (about 3/4 inch) is broken off.

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's hard to see in the photos, but the X-bolt has a tang safety, and the entire tang (about 3/4 inch) is broken off.

Aah yes can see it now in the first photo, wouldn't have thought in normal use one could break that safety tang off but I do know from experience the X-Bolt barreled action is very tight to take out of the stock due to it being tightly glass bedded at the factory. Over enthusiastic wrenching of the barreled action from the stock by pulling up on the barrel could see the safety tang which is the rear most part being stressed and consequently snapping off.
I've had my X-Bolt barreled action out of the stock a few times and it is a matter of careful wriggling of the action and barrel to lift it all out horizontally rather than barrel first, the scope helps with this acting as a handle for the action.

Would something like Loctite liquid metal not be suitable for fixing the broken safety tang back on, after all once it is back in place in the stock it cannot go anywhere and there is no strain on it??