New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guesses on how much this should cost?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking to have my smith put together plastic stocked rifle for me. Since I already have the stock and action, I just need him to order the barrel and put it together.

Just looking for a price range, since I think most of the time he's a bit pricey. The last price I got from him on putting a plastic stocked rifle together was around $700-800 in labor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gene

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just spent 425 200 for a douglas barrel and 225 having it put on. I did the stock work myself and the only thing done there was glass bedding it and reliefing the forend channel abit. Price depends on the barrel you want you could easy spend 400 plus on the barrel then labor. I guess I would have to see the break down of the charges. He should give you that.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Hard to say if that's high without a breakdown of services. Does the stock need any work beyond bedding? Pre-contoured barrel? Short chambered? Blued? Action trued? Go to several barrel maker web sites and see what their all-out cost is to barrel your action plus blue it; use that as a reference.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The price I am looking for would be labor, to install a MRC action and Krieger stainless fluted barrel(already chambered)on a McMillan stock.

I'm a novice, so I don't know the entire scope of what is involved to put it together such as pillar bedding etc...

Also, if smith here is interested in the work, let me know.

Thanks
Gene

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Locally (Central Oregon) prices run about like this...

Basic polish, chamber, thread, and install barrel, ca. $125. If it's a cartridge the 'smith doesn't have a reamer for, you split the added cost of the reamer and the 'smith keeps the reamer when you're done. $30 extra if you want a stainless barrel bead-blasted. Another $100 if you want the action really well blue-printed (trued, lappedlugs/boltface, etc.). Does NOT include the cost of the barrel itself.

Barrels - (Standard profiles and lengths) Range from about $85 for cheapest button-rifled chrome-moly to about $320 for highest quality stainless.

Plastic stock - Should not require pillars for hunting use. Bedding costs will vary from $40-$100 depending on craftsman and method of bedding. Epoxy bedding will not adhere to some injection plastic stocks, so these will require extra hand-work to mechanically hold bedding in place when it sets. Hex-head trigger-guard bolt replacements run from about $10 to about $20 depending on quality.

Stock painting, if desired - Locally runs about $100 whether you have a custom car painter do it, or one of the big local boat works gel coat it, either way it's about $100. That's the basic colour and clear-coat painting itself. Art work can run as much as you can afford to pay.

- Sling swivels usually run about $15-$20 per hole, plus the price of the swivel.

-Buttpads - $30 for the labour, plus the cost of the pad.

-Blue, if using chrome-moly barrel, about $100. (One of the best reasons for using bead-blasted stainless...can save you about $70 on finishing, and resists oxidation much better. Ends up about same price as same quality bluing and chrome-moly barrel so you sorta get the rust-resistance as a freebie.)

Drilling & tapping action, if required for scope mount or receiver sight - $12 per hole.

And, of course, all the goodies like trigger work, different follower, different safety, opening action rails and/or feed work for non-standard cartridge, etc. can run to considerably more.

Look at it sorta like building a car. If you want a new short-block in your tired 350-Chev, you may get away with a couple of grand, installed. If you want custom paint and a blown hemi, with track quality tranny, clutch, brakes, and suspension, you could end up mortgaging your grandkids.

I don't know many rich mechanics or gunsmiths, so what you choose to buy will probably determine the final price, not excess profits by the 'smith.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As good a barrel as you can get{Hart, Krieger, Lilja, and more} should not cost you more then 280.00 to 300.00 bucks, tops. Chambering and threading runs 125.00 to 150.00. There are other things that you might want done, but that is what you asked about and that is all that I would consider paying for it. This is from a top flight BR gunsmith that knows his buisness. If you would like recomendations, email me. Good luck. Bob

Posts: 78 | Location: Harrison, Maine | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote