THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: Ruffles Have Ridges...but a recoil pad shouldn't

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Ruffles Have Ridges...but a recoil pad shouldn't
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Did that remington recoil pad look like the bottom of a grocery clerks orthapedic shoe?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't knock it until you have tried it. I feel the same and my favorite M700 is a Classic in 8mm Rem Mag, but my new 700Ti in 300SAUM has that pad and it works incredibly well.
Stay well,
Paul

Posts: 59 | Location: USA | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, it's ugly, but it works. I had one put on a Marlin 1895SS in 45-70 and was amazed at the difference. So I had one put on my 700 Classic 8mm Mag. and, again, what a difference. I can live with ugly. I've got a couple other rifles with either the Pachmayer or Kick Eeze pads and really think the SVL/R-3 pads work better.

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wonder if if would work if it were smooth instead of looking like a black terraced hillside?

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
The Limbsaver/R3 pad is very effective at dampening the felt recoil. One thing to let you all know though is that you can buy a grind-to-fit version of the Limbsaver pad and it has the classic smooth look of a pachmayer.

Posts: 156 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been a Ruffles salesman for over thirty years and I need to understand something. Ya wasn't badmouthn' my chips, was ya kid? Jim

Posts: 3 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 14 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
There are some Limbsaver models designed to be ground to fit. I suppose that would solve the ridge problem?

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Gentlemen,
you can buy a grind-to-fit version of the Limbsaver pad and it has the classic smooth look of a pachmayer.

That would be the Eyesaver pad...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich: Thanks for starting this thread. I had my 350 Rem Mag to the range last night, decided it too needs a Simms/R-3 pad, and dropped it off at the gunsmith this afternoon. OK, I plead guilty to ugly-ing up another Classic! I tried to convince my buddy sighting in his 375 H&H he needs one too but he's set in his ways. -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2eagles,

No, ridges are fine on chips it's the ones on that funny looking recoil pad that were bugging me.

If you can get that R3 pad in a smooth model, I wonder why then, Big Green went with the ridged model instead of the smooth one.

I know...it's the same reason they put that Matty Mattel looking railroad track on their model 673 Guide Gun

Anyway, Classic it ain't!

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
The good news is, Remington produced tens of thousands of Model 700s during the prime years from 1962 to about 1987. Many of these are still in new, unaltered condition and available second-hand at gunshows, used gun racks, etc. These can often be had for far less than a current Model 700 brings, and there's no comparison as far as quality goes between the older 700s and the current product.

I have absolutely no incentive to go out and buy a current Remington 700 rifle, and the "ridges" are yet another reason to stay away.....

AD

posted Hide Post
Allen
To be more exact, from 1962 to 1975 about 2 million M/700 rifles had been produced, from there about 80,000 -100,000 +/- units per year...

Regards, Augustis ><>

Posts: 18 | Location: Montana | Registered: 13 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered one of the 700 CDL's in 35 Whelen a couple weeks ago and it's got the R3 pad. Wonder if it'll be a smooth or corrugated model? I have to admit that smooth would be a lot more attractive. -WSJ

<allen day>
posted
Thanks for that information!

Those numbers are an amazing testimony to the popularity of the Model 700.

AD