New
Find
Notify
Tools

?? re: lever action 45 colt to 454 casull
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
there is an ad for a marlin 1894 45 colt f/s. is it feasible, and relatively practical to rechamber to 454 casull to match my ruger SBH? granted, the SBH will shoot 45 colt, but I wanted a companion to the casull.
thanks--cam

Posts: 157 | Location: san francisco bay area | Registered: 23 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NO! Sorry for the yelling, but this is a dangerous idea.

The Marlin action won't take the 65000psi that the Casull is designed for. The barrel will, but the action lockup isn't that stout.

If you want a .454 lever gun, Rossi Puma 92 and Bighorn Armory are the ones I know of. A Browning BLR could work if you can get it to feed.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I read a test done on one of the lever action gun blogs. The Marlin lasted 6 shots before blowing up. The only safe lever action is the Winchester 92 (or clones). As said the BLR would work too.

Posts: 5709 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
As said 'bad idea', the 454's from Rossi are supposed to be built with stronger steels that the other 92's. I read somewhere on the net (you know how that goes) about some of the Browning 92's that were converted to 454 way back when it was new that had severe locking bolt set back, bulged frames etc. but I saw no actual proof myself.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote