New
Find
Notify
Tools

I guess I'm going to do this.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm going to build a BLR lever action .416 ruger.
I can contact a gunsmith and hand him some money and he will hand me a finished rifle. I assume it would be perfect right then, but I actually don't know that much about this particular gunsmith.

Or, I can get the rifle in 300 win mag and build it with my friend/gunsmith down the street. He isn't a lever action smith. He is very good at the things he specializes in, accurate bolt guns, restoring old guns, M1A platforms. I would also like to learn a bit about the lever guns. But it does leave me a bit apprehensive.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
I assume it would be perfect right then, but I actually don't know that much about this particular gunsmith.

So who is the smith? There is a good chance that someone here knows his work.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wild West Guns Alaska.

Short video. 416 Ruger BLR.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFV_iE1vm1k

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Go with the guy down the street; that way you will learn how it is done.. Anyone can pay money and walk away but never learn anything.
As long as he can thread and chamber a barrel, he can do it.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
Wild West Guns Alaska.

Short video. 416 Ruger BLR.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFV_iE1vm1k

It is hard to argue with experience. Who knows what quirks they may have have already learned to overcome in the build. Looks like a fantastic DGR. I love my BLR.

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote