Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger stock crack
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
My new Ruger (.280 Rem) has developed a slight (I think) defect, and I'm wondering if it's enough to bother sending it back.

The relatively thin web of stock in front of the trigger area under the receiver is showing signs of cracking. It is not cracked through, but I only have about 20 rounds through it so far. It is a vertical crack, completely hidden between the floorplate and receiver. If I hadn't pulled the action to inspect it (I have to disassemble all my toys to satisfy my engineers curiosity) I might have never seen it! Since it should be a low stress area, I'm not sure it is worth any attention at all...

It seems like I have heard/read a few discussions about this being a problem with Ruger's walnut stocks. I'd rather not send it back and be without it for a while, but I don't want it to come apart on me a few years from now either. I'm sure that modifying the stock (crossbolt) would void the semblance of warranty Ruger offers, but it would be the correct fix IMO.

So my quandry is whether to send it back, ignore it (I think it is a very low stress part of the stock), or fix it, and if I fix it, how? Crossbolt? epoxy? Hidden crossbolt?

If pic's help, I'll try to get some tonight.

Thanks!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CDH:
So my quandry is whether to send it back, ignore it (I think it is a very low stress part of the stock), or fix it, and if I fix it, how? Crossbolt? epoxy? Hidden crossbolt?

You forgot "Fish plate" Big Grin

A little well placed epoxy should help ease your worry. I don't think you need to do anything too drastic. Keep your eye on it and if it becomes a problem then up the Ante.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
You might want to check the hole that the rear stock bolt goes throught to ensure that the bolt is not
contacting the rear of the hole. I have had a couple of Rugers with similiar problems and relieving the
area to the rear of the rear stock bolt keeps the bolt from putting pressure on the stock during recoil.
This may or may not be the cause of your problem. This split in my experience is very common on
Ruger stocks. Let some thin Acraglas flow into the crack while you hold the stock vertically to fix
the split. I would be interested in hearing about what fix you did and whether it worked.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check for Termites!!! Big Grin

Chlordane works well on "Repairing" Termites.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
OEH, it's actuall the web of wood in front of the trigger, between the trigger and the center screw/magazine area. The crack shows as a hairline about 3/4 of the total height starting from under the receiver to just above the floorplate inlet. It looks like there might be enoug meat from the bottom to dremel out a groove and bury/epoxy a piece of threaded rod across the crack. Compress with a padded vise, and voila, hidden crossbolt. I think I'll just watch it for a few more range trips and see what happens.

HC, now I have a nice pair of rifles to hunt NA with...a blued/walnut traditional in a classic caliber and a stainless synthetic M70 in a modern caliber (300WSM). Surely there's a bit in there for everyone...short a big bore that is. Besides, Chlordane is not safe for the 2 year old and 6 month old girls that take up most of my 'spare' time these days!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey CDH, I had heard the folks that "Ban stuff" decided to get rid of Chlordane in (maybe) 1980. Just happened to find a bit of it left in a half gallon can a month or so ago. Probably need to get rid of it myself.

Been thinking more about that "Crack". Any chance it is a small milled-out "Slot" for storing Strain Gauges? Big Grin

Did you ever get that other old rifle figured out?
---

P.S. Don't tell anyone "I" said this, but you might try slipping a thin knife into the top of the split to barely open it. Then take a small needle and injecting some good old Elmer's Wood Glue into the crack and putting a clamp on it for a couple of days.

Elmer's even comes in Shades of Color now days. And when I glue things together, the glued joint is stronger than the surrounding material. I know because I've had to "try" and un-do some glued joints and it breaks beside the glued joint.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
HC, the other old rifle is on it's way to a new owner as I write. This Ruger is its replacement in my safe. I've had enough of old military rifles...until I become rich and famous enough to just take them to a 'smith and have them worked over into a trophy and not flinch at the cost! That might be a while... Big Grin

I did think about glue...I've got a variety from wood glue to Gorilla Glue. It's hidden, so color matching is not really important to me...stability and strength is...and that led me to epoxy. Hmmmmm....

I don't think removing the bottom metal makes easy access enough to store spare strain gauges. Seeing as how there is plenty of space under the barrel with Ruger's nice forend hump (for a barrel pressure point) I could put 5-6 of 'em down the bottom of the barrel and they would be completely hidden! There's nothing like redundancy to keep things running when Murphy's law strikes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey CDH, I don't have the patience with old used things anymore either. Life is way too short to waste wrestling with those things when it is too easy to buy something that works.

I imagine any of those Glues you mentioned will work just fine. Just bought some glue similar to the Gorilla Glue about two weeks ago. Haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how well it will perform. I did notice it is "water" activated, so you have to "wet" one of the pieces being glued. Interesting!

Darn shame you are having to go through this on a new rifle though. I would imagine they would replace it for you. But I understand it is just the aggravation of having to go through it.

Of course if you've given any thought to just replacing the Termite Food with an excellent Synthetic stock, now you have a decent excuse.

The Termite Food ones do well in the burn barrel. Wink