Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Band
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
I'm finally starting on my .30-06 "Mountain" Rifle. A couple of years ago I picked up a Fajen stock, the Schnabel type that everyone is talking about in the Midway post. The plan here is to replace my Rem 700 with a relatively light Mauser. This style stock seems to usually use a barrel band for the front sling swivel. I'm using a shilen #1 barrel that I'm finishing at 24". With such a thin barrel I'm concerned about a band. Is there a downside to using a band especially on such a slim barrel?

Whose bands do you all like and why?

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
The practical value of a barrel mounted swivel band will depend on how/if you use your sling for shooting.

If you tend to use a tight sling on a light barrel while shooting it is going to change the point of impact. So will a stock mounted swivel, but not anywhere near the same extent.

If you use your sling primarily for packing the rifle, the bbl. mounted sling is the only way to go.

In my mind the sling swivel is too important to the practical shooting of the rifle to base location on aesthetics.

A heavy big bore barrel is a very different topic. Just my opinion.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I think I'll save the barrel band for my .338 project. I usually only use a sling when my hands are full. I prefer to carry my rifle. But, lately I've come to appreciate the usefulness of a sling when shooting, especially a light rifle. In this case, think I'll have to try a set of the inletted swivel bases. Darn, more woodwork.

Thanks Again ScrollCutter!

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote