New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talley Peep Sight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for any feeedback on the Talley peep sight. How does it function, what's it look like?

Does it go on the rear base and then front base is omitted?

Any feedback will be appreciated, there is no image I can find on the Talley website.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Fish,

They don't have a picture on their website.

I just got a new one to upgrade my previous unit. This one has built-in windage adjustment, and two set screws to lock it down.

The Talley Peep slides on the rear of the rear base, and then is held in place by a thumb screw on the right side. You need a Talley rear base that has been modified to accept the Peep unit.

In use you are looking over the front base, and you see your front sight in the aperture (you can unscrew the aperture to use the sight as a ghost ring).

I don't have a picture yet, but I will soon.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Talley peeps that is about five years old. It is windage adjustable by a set screw that is accessed through the top of the peep. It comes with one removable aperture. Will post a photo of it this evening. It's a nice unit if you can deal with elevation adjustment with interchangeable front sight blades. Talley also used to make a trap door grip cap that will hold the sight.

Forrest Bowers

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I recently purchased a SAUER 202 Takedown in 416 Rem mag/375 H&H/7 rem mag, and each of these barrels have very basic iron sights, and I want to upgrade. I have always liked the Talley products, and think I'm gonna try one of their peep sights.

Look forward to a pic if possible.

Regards--Don

One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Fish,

Here is a picture of the Talley peep circa 2001 and the associated trap door grip cap. Obviously they did not end up on the same rifle as I had anticipated.

The peep sight is not as slick as a full blown fold down unit that is integral with a rear square bridge, but it is pretty handy especially since the Talley system is so common.

Forrest Bowers

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chisana, thank you very much. I think I'm gonna try one, that has got to be better than the rear blade that is the stock piece on these rifle barrels. My next task is to see about a better front bladesetup since that peep is not adjustable for elevation.

Thanks again--Don

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Use a NECG ramp that has the elevation built in. Nice looking and practical. Add a red fiber optic bead and it really WORKS.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chisana, where did you find and what make is that trap-door grip cap? And are they still available?

Phil

Posts: 1468 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Phil,

That is a Talley grip cap that they made to go with the peep sights. I don't believe they are still available (at least they are not listed on the web site). The slot is made to be turned with the rim of a cartridge case.

I think Jerry Fisher has the best trap door grip cap that is currently available, however I do not have one to post a picture of.

Forrest

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred