Find
Notify
Tools

Charles Daly magnum mauser....big disappointment
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted
I just received my first .375 H&H length magnum mauser from Charles Daly and it has two serious flaws quickly observed.

1. the floor plate don't stay closed....it's an easy fix but I'm not into fixing someone elses poor quality.

2. The bolt don't capture the cartridge in feeding.....or in other words it's basically a push feed action. This too I think I can repair but it's another reason to look else where for actions.

on a scale of 1-10, I'd rate the Chas Daly magnum mauser action a 3 tops.....it must work properly or it's not to be sold.....and it seems price overrides quality.....absolutely UNACCEPTABLE

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Vapodog

I am curious if you contacted the company regarding these problems, and if so, what their response was.

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know Daly's response as well, I have been desperate to finally get my hand's on one of their left handed models, but, I sure don't want to get a piece of junk!!

Huntr

Posts: 88 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the rifles are anything like the 1911 pistols, I pity anyone who puts out hard earned cash for one. The stuff is junk, pure and simple.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

If the rifles are anything like the 1911 pistols, I pity anyone who puts out hard earned cash for one. The stuff is junk, pure and simple.
Joe

This is a real shame, as the name Charles Day on a gun once signified quality.......

one of us
posted Hide Post
Push feed is normal for a '98 action, that is not a flaw. Ctgs. must come from magazine and slide up under extractor to feed properly. You can modify the extractor so that it will "pop" over a case, but that weakens the extractor.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
It is truly a shame.. these were the actions used in Mark X and Whitworth rifles and at that time they were very good.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It is truly a shame.. these were the actions used in Mark X and Whitworth rifles and at that time they were very good.

I would choose the word "servicable" (as opposed to "very good"), but that is naturally a personal opinion.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Push feed is normal for a '98 action, that is not a flaw. Ctgs. must come from magazine and slide up under extractor to feed properly...

That's controlled round feed.

Quote:

You can modify the extractor so that it will "pop" over a case, but that weakens the extractor.

That's push feed, and it's a flaw, not normal.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Vapodog,
I'm sorry you are disappointed in your Daly. I haven't seen the long Magnum. However, I have both a standard 06 and short Magnum. They need smoothing on the inside just like the old MKX did. I found them both to be highly polished with sharp edges. I had no feeding problems with either one. They picked the case up from the magazine just like they were supposed to. I did have a problem with the floor plate on the 06. The plate would closed but then pop back open. The release button was stiff and not always moving. On mine it took a couple of times of simply pushing the button closed and the problem went away.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your problems with the Daly. I built mine almost two years ago. It is nice and serviceable. It took some final finishing to get it to look right, but all the basic stuff worked (ie. floor plate, trigger, feeeding etc) I am pleased in the final rifle. Not bad for the money or considering the work it takes for a military mauser.

Posts: 100 | Location: anchorage,alaska,USA | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

That is very interesting fluting on that barrel! What cartridge is the rifle chambered in, and who did the fluting?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
What a cool looking rifle! Seeing as where you're from, I bet it's shoots something big and kicks like a mule

Please tell us a little more about this original looking Mauser.

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
considering the warranty that comes with the chas daly, i am surprised that you don't give them a chance to make it right. even rolls/royce screws one up now and then.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I called Daly several days ago to get an RGA# and got an answering machine.....they haven't got back to me in almost a week.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Niece looking rifle. Who did the metal work? Is that a Weiser three position safety? And how did it fit? I like that paint job. What is it? And whose blank?

Posts: 48 | Location: Elyria, Ohio USofA | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IIRC, suntiet most likely did the work himself as he is a 'smith at Wild West Guns here in Anchorage - yes?

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote