New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN vs. JC Higgins values?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It seems everyone selling anything made in Belgium thinks its worth 2x its value. What would a realistic value be for a used 30.06 or 270 FN sporter or JC Higgins? Other than saying SEARS on the barrel, is there any difference in the JC Higgins vs the FN? Does the JC Higgins have the FN crest and left side markings?

Posts: 1524 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Sears M-50 & 51 FNs don't have crests or Fabrique Nationale Herstal, etc. lettering on the side. They say "FN action- Made in Belgium" on the side and have dates and proof marks. The actions are essentially the same although the rust bluing and overall finish seems to me to be better on FN sporters. An FN Deluxe or Supreme sporter in 98% or better original condition is worth about $650 and up, Higgins rifles about $300 or so although asking prices lately have edged up. It's not as easy to "steal" a primo FN sporter anymore but Higgins rifles and their ilk (Monkey Wards, Marlin 455, etc.) can still be scooped in pawnshops, gunshows, etc. for less.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still see them around once in a while for around $275-300 or so in good condition. The JC Higgins I'm familiar with usually don't have the FN crest on them, but I've not seen them all.- Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had 2 of the Sears and both shot very well. I was told they had High Standard barrels on some of them. I still have one in 30.06.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My model 51 Says Made in Belgium and next to that a little FN logo and the PV on the ring

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote