New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation for dial calipers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need a new dial caliper. Last one I bought was Mitutoyo. It was a little stiffer than the old Starrett, but I was pretty happy with it. Want to spend $100-$150'ish.

Mitutoyos I think they're now making in Brazil.

The $120 Starrett is made in China.

The $160 Brown and Sharpe is also made in China.

Mitutoyo's still good?

Any other recommendations?

Posts: 1730 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
food for thought
These guys are a wealth of knowledge and did a great job fixing my interapid .0001 test indicator.

http://www.longislandindicator.com/p11.html

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the link James. That information helped a bunch in choosing a TESA Brown & Sharpe digital caliber to replace the Grainger unit that only worked a few months.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, James!

Posts: 1730 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I use Mahr. I can recommend that. Newer one has bigger digits easy to read, IP67 rating etc.

Bought this to my friend, also use in work the same:

https://store.gaging.com/41030...iper?search=4103010P

Posts: 2111 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Thank you for the link James. That information helped a bunch in choosing a TESA Brown & Sharpe digital caliber to replace the Grainger unit that only worked a few months.
CB

I would think Grainger would warranty their products.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 969 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dial calipers are ok for use in a very clean environment. I have both Starrett and an old Craftsman that belonged to my day. In a dusty/dirty shop environment they are pita. My go-to caliper is a Mitutoyo 500-196. The battery life is amazing. I usually leave them on all the time and can't remember the last time I replaced the battery. Any more the dial calipers spend most of their time sitting on the shelf.
C.G.B.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We use ones from INSIZE.

Very accurate, and very reliable.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68796 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mitutoyos

I use a Mitutoyo and one of whatever brand it is that Midway sells.. Both work equally well..

but my Mitutoyo somehow skipped a tooth or three and I can't get it back to where it should be. took it apart as far as possible, and no dice. when at zero the dial is at 90 degrees now but its still usable.

Before i had these, I had a $10 plastic one I got from somewhere.. It worked well enough for whatever I was doing at the time.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
They probably would. But, I have no box or receipt and I have no password on file for them either. They no longer carry the same style.

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
CB

I would think Grainger would warranty their products.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Peacock brand that I don't need. Model S.P.I. 20-431 (Swiss Precision Instruments, Made in Japan)

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For their price point, I have been really impressed with Shars Premium dial calipers. Yes, they are made in China but then, so are the lower-end Starrett and B&S models. There is no play in the jaws and they operate as smoothly as my Mitutoyo Digamatics and, they are just as accurate. I have verified the accuracy of both using 1-2-3 gauge blocks and standard pin gauges. The Shars cost around $50.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
About the Grainger unit: Turns out that the original battery was just plain cheap junk and the smaller battery I replaced it with shifted when the cover was put back on and didn't make full solid contact with the + terminal on the side. My watch repair guy put in an exact match battery and voila … it works fine and the auto shut off works too unlike before with the original weak battery. Senior moment corrected.
P.S. The Brown & Sharpe 00590302 unit is very high quality and much tighter than the Grainger unit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pa.Frank,

Cut a piece of shim stock to mimmic your index finger to insert onto the rack to jump dial gear back to it's proper orientation.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote