New
Find
Notify
Tools

adhesives
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone got experience with fixing sights onto gun barrels with adhesives rather than solder? In particular I want to relocate the front sight on my Ruger Super Redhawk and would prefer not to go through the hassle of silver soldering. The adhesives I've been looking at are those for attaching shotgun ribs, like that offered by polychoke.

Posts: 157 | Location: england | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote
<bobshawn>
posted
Andrew __

Either the common cyanoacrylates ("Hot Stuff", "Wonder Glue", etc.) or the common two-part epoxies are applicable. However, for metal-metal joints, any chemical adhesive depends on area of contact and surface roughness (mechanical interlocking) for overall strength. You might consider pinning the sight as well.

Good shooting.

Robert

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck using Acraglas attaching rifle front sights, both temporarily and "semi-permanently".. Don't know about a heavy recoiling pistol, though... I suspect it would eventually give way.

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Horse hockey , I assure you glass and adhesives will not hold under hunting conditions in cold or extreme heat..There is only one way, and thats soft solder and screws, I use both, if I'm not using a barrel band in which case I only solder....

I have repaired a bunch of glassed on sights, barrel bands etc...A hot barrel, just from shooting, will disolve the glass and adhesives.

Glass and adhesives work fine as long as you keep them in the gun cabinet...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote