New
Find
Notify
Tools

winchester barrel swap
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There seems to be alot of smiths here and the like and I hope to get you're help. Will the barrel of a Post Model 70 thread into a Winchester Model 670A? I have no reference and no tools to take a look at the threads so I would think they interchange. I see, what is it, the Model 57? and the Model 70 have the same shank and threads as I noticed in the Brownell Tech page but nothing on the other economy version of the Mod 70. I just wonder if a barrel vise and action wrench(s) are a must for the common homework instead of payin someone to do the work. It's winter and got some time. any recommendations?

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The threads are the same. I doubt that the headspace would be correct or that the barrel would time TDC correctly without a bit of work.
That would be shear luck. The best senario would be for the chamber to be a bit deep. That way the required work would be very simple.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
By 670A, I'm assuming that it is a push feed Post 64 action that you want to put a Pre-64 barrel on? It ain't gonna happen. The threads are the same but the Pre-64 has a coned breech and an extractor slot cut. It could be done but, you would have to turn the thread shank back to get rid of the cone breach area and turn a portion of the barrel to major diameter of the threads then chase the exsiting threads. After that, you would have to re-chamber the barrel. Your best bet is to go on e-bay and look for a Post-64 barrel and that should go on with a minimum of "tweaking".

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
OOPS! Read the post correctly, dummy!

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
or that the barrel would time TDC correctly without a bit of work.

[this thread got hit lots 90 somthing times-little results, maybe it has something to do with the infamous pushfeed question. TDC is that with a set of sights on I presume? There is no sights on this barrel I want to thread on. So if installing a barrel is relatively simple then all that is needed is to since the lug is built with the receiver is to thread and headspace and finish ream if a new barrel?

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
okay, if anybody is still there another question. Seems all the contacts that Winchester provided for another bolt seem to be a dead end. Production was limited to about 6yrs. I noticed a small fracture between the front lug and the guide, does not seem to all the way thru but nonethless I would opt for a replacement. Do you know of a good source of parts other than Numerich?