New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mark X confusion
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a chance to buy a mark x in .458 win and need a little help. I know that Interarms imported them at one time, but the seller called this one a Whitworth. It has a pretty decent looking stock, oil finished, three leaf open sights(100, 200, and 300) and is in very good shape. Are there any difference's in Mark X's? [Confused] Any ideas on what it is worth?
Thanks for any help.
Mike

Posts: 144 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I feel the Whitworth is a very fine rifle. I have two- 375 and 458. I recently picked up the 458 here and am very happy with the accuracy and feel. It too has the rib with folding leaves. Some folk like them some don't. I temporarily glued mine down since I am using a scope on the 375 and would only want the one I zeroed at 100 yds. in case of a mishap with the scope. My 458 will have a popup ghost ring in case of problems with the leaves.
If you can purchase from 6 to 700 you are doing fine.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike - In another thread, someone said that "Whitworth" Mark X's were assembled in England. All Mark X receivers are manufactured in Czechslovakia. Hope this helps.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark X's were made in Yugoslavia, not Czeck republic.

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify:

All Mark X receivers were made in Yugoslavia.

The Whitworth marked rifles were assembled in England.

The Whitworth rifles "usually" have better fit and finish, along with oiled stocks, express sights, etc.

These rifles were made over a number of years. Not all Whitworth's are nicer, and not all Yugo built rifles are lesser. Evaluate each rifle on it's own merit.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
double post

[ 10-07-2003, 00:37: Message edited by: KurtC ]

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kurt, thats exactly what I heard. Generally the fit and finish of the Whitworth was/is better ten the Mark X.

Do all Whitworth rifles have the name Whitworth stamped on them?

I seem to recall the Whitworth (308 I used to own)had a castle on either the barrel at the chamber or the front top of the receiver. Does anyone know where this stamping/etching is located exactly and did all Whitworth's come with this?

Do the Safari Whitworth's come with fully adjustable triggers?

Do the 375 H&H and up Whitworth's use a barrel recoil lug?

And lastly what is the purpose of the barrel band for a sling? IF the forearm is long enough, why wouldn't you use it to install a swivel stud, assuming recoil won't ram it into your hand.

Cheers,

Posts: 450 | Location: AB, Canada | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
The Whitworth 375 h&h I owned was stamped on the front, top of the receiver, Whitworth.
It did have a adjustable trigger. Crappy in my opinion.
It did have a barrel lug that was bedded into the forearm.
The barrel band was/is for the sling, it was not soldered in place, but had a screw to clamp in place. I like the barrel band better than the stud in the forearm

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
imho, and why..
mark X is worth MAX 400 bucks
602, no peep, 500

why? because you can buy a brand new winchester crf for 500 bucks at wally word and rebarrel if you want to

or

you can buy a brand new cz 550 in 375, 416, or 458 and have all the bells and whistles, for 630.

but, then again, I am cheap.

the daly barreled actions are to be about 500, new, which is a mark X...

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff - I haven't seen the peep ZKK 602's before. Is it reasonable to conclude that you do not get the 200/300 sighting option with the peep gun?

Or are there multiple holes in the peep version.

I see the smaller caliber Zkk peep models fairly regularily (at least when ever I look).

Cheers,

Posts: 450 | Location: AB, Canada | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
JJP,
I would pay up to the current market of a new 550 for a 602 with a popup peep sight. two reasons... one, it's got a cool backup sight system built into the action, and two, it's going to be an older manf. date.

the all are pretty great guns, but I am cheap

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, any idea of the limitations of the Zkk 602 Peep - I.E. does it have 200/300 sighting capability?

Also do you have any idea what serial number range the 602 carried a peep sight?

Finally is hte 550 available in a deluxe stock - check piece with rosewood grip and forearm caps?

Cheers,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
JJP,
I belive Alf posted that they haven't been made since the 70's.

the 550 doesn't come with the deluxe stock, in larger bore... hogback stock...

since I have a gorrilla LOP, that's a small thing to me, I wind up restocking just about everything

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help guys. Decided against the gun. Just don't like a trigger safety on a DGR style rifle.(And I just couldn't come up with the cash.) Jeffeoso, do you buy synthetic stocks? My length of pull is rather large also and synthetic stocks all seem to be for short people. I prefer wood but want a real light rifle. And thanks for the offer to shoot your 376 Steyr. Will try to get with you one of these days. [Big Grin]

Posts: 144 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote