THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attaching a banded front sight to a SS bbl?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All:

Wanted to ask the pros here about attaching a banded cro-Mo (i.e. Blued) to a stainless barrel.

Is this something that can be done reasonably? If so, what is the preferred method for attaching the sight?

I have no plans to do this myself, just wanted to be a bit informed about it prior to commisioning the work.

Thx,

Bob

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They have set screws; sometimes that is all I use; ain't had one come off yet. That is how Ruger does it too; no solder. If it is the right size for your barrel, , it is something anyone could do with an Allen wrench.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd: If the barrel is tapered, how do you determine "the right size"? Thanks for the help.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I just fitted one this morning; I turn a cylindrical place on the barrel to match the front sight band, for a tight fit. If you are fitting a sight band to a barrel that you don't want to turn, get the sight in a diameter the same as the mid point of the barrel where you want it to go. Then you can file the band ID to fit. I bore them true in a lathe; usually straight as it is easier.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I try to use a tapered reamer to make them fit. Have a bunch of those around anyway, from past metal-working projects (and I never throw a metal-working tool away.)

Honestly think if I was going to do one tomorrow, I would think long and hard overnight about doing a "shrink fit". Cool the barrel, heat the band, place the two together, and let natural physics take its course...barrel warms and expands, band cools and shrinks, VOILA, a plenty tight fit.(Of course I'd have a tiny index mark on both barrel and band to make certain the front sight was in the proper 12 o'clock position when everything was together.)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If I am going to use heat, I solder them on. It will be much easier to adjust them later if needed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you drive a band on too tight you will have a constriction at the muzzle.
I had to return a Ruger #1 to the factory for that. It would not stay on a 2 ft X 2 ft target at 100 yards. I hit the paper 3 times with 5 shots for an 18" 3 shot group.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I was going to say that but I was afraid people would laugh at me. I would never shrink anything on a barrel because it will cause a constriction; very small, yes, but it will.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
So, does that mean that all the barrel-makers who very slightly reduce bore diameter at the muzzle are wrong?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
If you drive a band on too tight you will have a constriction at the muzzle.
I had to return a Ruger #1 to the factory for that. It would not stay on a 2 ft X 2 ft target at 100 yards. I hit the paper 3 times with 5 shots for an 18" 3 shot group.

I will call BS on that!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How would placing a "Band" ahead of the fore arm have any affect on the muzzle???? I assume your not placing it on the muzzle..........

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I usually put front sight bands (which is what the OP asked about) either flush with the muzzle or 1/4 inch back. Where do you put them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put mine about .200 back from the muzzle to leave room to recrown down the line if necessary.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My bad ! I was thinking a band for a sling.

Hang on TITE !!