THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting a fiberglass stock from 700 to 70?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Can this be done?

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With enough filler, epoxy, machining and time most anything can be done. The best bet is usually to sell the prospective donor and buy what you need.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'm way to lazy to look up and compare all the dimensions. But, depending on the starting stock material it can be a real pain to get epoxy to bond too it. I always try and work in a mechanical bond as well as the chemical one.

Like Bob I would start over.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well it will be easier to go from R700 to M70 than the other way.

However, the very reason it will be easier might also mean you fuck the stock. Taking it from R700 to M70 will mean removing a lot of stock material. The potential problem is many of these stocks have a type of foam filler in them and you could end up cutting away a lot of the fibreglass.

As has already been posted.....sell it and buy a stock for the M70.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That's true; best to sell it and buy the right one because if/when you mill through the epoxy layer and hit the foam filler, that will be harder to manage. Not saying you can't do it.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The M70 action depth is greater than a 700, meaning you will have to add about .200 to the bottom of the stock for a flush fit of the trigger guard and magazine box. It is not an easy conversion, but I have done worse.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gents,

A few 700 stocks will be in the Classifieds this weekend.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote