New
Find
Notify
Tools

HS precision bedding
 Login/Join

<MOA>
posted
I just reveived a new HS precision stock for my win 270 WSM. It came with a instructions to bed it and a little bit of bedding compound. The reason why I bought this stock is because I thought I didn't have to bed it. Does anyone have any pointers on how to apply it, is it necessary?

one of us
posted Hide Post
MOA,
I bought one for my M70 last year. I was under the same impresseion as you. I used the "putty" that they supplied and followed the directions. The putty basically melted and looked like white paint when it was dry. I really don't know if it was necessary or not. One thing that I did not like about the stock is that the barrel channel is not perfectly alligned with the barrel. There is a slightly larger gap on one side of the barrel. Not so bad that I can't live with it though. TTS

Posts: 84 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Fanback>
posted
Yes you should bed it. I bought into the no bedding required lie and nearly went crazy working up a load. Roughed up the aluminum and bedded in Brownell's Accraglass and it shoots fine. I thought I was saving some money and time over a McMillan but I was wrong.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
MOA,

Even though these 1 piece aluminum bedding blocks are thought to be the "end all" solution to bedding concerns, they do require some fitting prior to bedding. Before you mix up that bedding material or apply the release agent, you need to make certain that the bedding block is free of any high spots and that the action sits level and without any binding when it is bolted in.

Install your barreled action in the stock and tighten the guard screws. While holding on to the barrel and forearm with one hand, loosen the front guard screw with the other. You SHOULD NOT feel any movement whatsoever in the barrel or action as you loosen this screw.

If the barerel feels like it wants to climb out of the stock as you loosen the front screw, then the action is on a bind and you will need to locate and correct this prior to any bedding. You need to look for and address any high spots that can cause any interference with the action.

When you can loosen the front guard screw and not feel any movement, you are ready to think about bedding. Bedding the action with this 1 piece aluminum block if done correctly, will assure a solid marriage between the action and the stock and you will be well on you way to tighter groups.

Malm

one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
MOA - Where did you get your HS stock from? I bought mine directly from them and got no bedding instructions or any goop.

I did have to relieve the last few inches of barrel channel resulting in having a free floating barrel before mine shot well though. But I haven't glass bedded the action (yet) ant I'm shooting 1" 3-shot 100-yard groups from my .308 (which is all I expect for a hunting rifle).

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought my H-S Precision stock from Cabelas and got no goop or instructions, either. Probably a good thing. I had my gunsmith, Bobby Hart, install a Rem 700 BDL long action and he skim bedded it with Bisonite for just the reasons that Malm listed. The drop in fit thing is just a lie.
A good gunsmith is worth his( or her, I suppose) weight in gold! IMHO

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I have several HS stocks on Remingtons and none came with any putty. The one I have for a Mod. 70 came with a little pack of bedding stuff, but I used Accra-glass instead.

They are my favorite synthetic stock and will probably be getting another to put on my newest gun, a Mod 70 in 338 Win.

And, by the way, none of my Remingtons with HS stocks were bedded in glass. They all shoot fine.

Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Sendero with a H-S precision stock.I remember reading in their brochure that they not recommend any bedding-if I remember correctly.I then read in the brownell's acra-glass kit I got,for another rifle,that the Sendero could also be bedded.I then took the H-S apart to see what was going on and if it needed bedding.I discovered that the recoil lug did not fit snuggly into it's slot,and their was nothing to stop it from jerking back and fourth with every shot,eventually warping my trigger guard.I will soon order another bedding kit.One thing I really like about that H-S stock though,is that it keeps it's exact zero.I stored and did not use the rifle for 1 year and shot it shot EXACTLY were it did the year before.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I received the HS Precision Stock. I have installed my barred-action in the stock. No bedding, just installed as HS reccommends. I must say, I was very surprised at how loose this was in the stock before tightening the screws up. Teh entire action could easily move back and forth. The slot for the barrell lug was very generous.
On the Rem synthetic stock it is a very snug fit.
I will shoot this weekend from the bench to see.
Again, with a carefully worked up load, I have shot 1/4" groups from the bench with the ADL stock. If these open a lot, the stock will be returned. It is a very nice looking stock, I like the feel of it, and how much stuffer it is.
We'll see

Posts: 90 | Location: albany,ny,usa | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote