Find
Notify
Tools

17HMR rebarrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
I am considering rebarreling a shot-out .22 rf Vickers Target Rifle to 17HMR. Anyone know the appropriate rate of twist or optimum barrel length for this calibre?

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
US Models seem to have a 1 in 10 twist.

Barrel lengths come as short as 18 inches in rifles. Several handguns are available in it also, and they get a velocity of 2,000 fps out of a 6 inch barrel, compared to 2550 out of my 24 inch barrel one.

Hope this helps some.

However I hope the Vickers action is for a 22 mag, otherwise with case length it will be a single shot. I admit not being familiar with the Vickers action.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Thanks Seafire

The Vickers action is a small .22 Martini so its only ever going to be a single shot anyway . I had a play with a Ruger bolt action 17HMR , and decided that .17 would be an ideal remake on the tired martini , with very little work other than rebarrel and chambering.

Thanks again [Smile]

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
muzza,

Is there a preference between the various manufacturers of small Martinis? Have you played with the takedown models and do they maintain accuracy?

I'm thinking of relining a BSA, currently in .22 RF, to the .17 HMR. That is, if anyone makes a liner in .17. If not, a new barrel and on to the k-Hornet.

Regards

Posts: 63 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote