THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Created Win 71 & 65 Bolt Peep Sight Drawings (Sight 98A)

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Created Win 71 & 65 Bolt Peep Sight Drawings (Sight 98A)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I created a set of design/fabrication drawings for the bolt peep sight used for the 348 Model 71 Winchester and Model 65 Winchester. I used original sights and two Winchester rifles for the measurements and fit tests.
The model 71 rifle I purchased had the bolt peep sight missing, and I wanted to replace it. To my surprise, buying an original for over $500 was beyond my budget, so I decided to make one.
In order to accurately document the original sight, I found a guy that for a fee would loan me some sights. Original 98A's from a model 71 Winchester and a sight from a model 65.
It took over 100 hours of measurements and drafting to document the sights, which I have drawn on 4 pages of 11 X 17 paper. The designs include all the parts.

When I started this project, I planned to freely share the designs, however after having to pay for the borrowed sights and spending over 100 hours to document them, Ithought that it would not be unreasonable to ask for something when someone wants a copy of the drawings.
I am willing to provide a copy of my design drawings. You can PM me if interested.
Click on immage below to see what this sight looks like:

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had an original Winchester bolt peep base in my junk draw..I inletted it into the bolt like the original, tigged a Talley base to it, and added the Talley QD peep, looks great and is very very compact..

A custom base could be made from a Talley base cut down much thinner to keep it low.It could be inletted in or just d&T'd.

All told its an easy project..and not expensive.

Not original on my part, I bought a 348 with such a sight installed and loved it.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
You are an accomplished individual with an extrordinarily good understanding of model 71s.
There are likely very few folks that would have the insight to do the adaptation you did, myself included. That's why I engaged in pursuing the design of the originals.
I would enjoy seeing the sight that you made.

Bob Nisbet
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a good enough machinist to attempt making my own but Google shows a place that sells reproductions. Always wanted to have one installed on my Browning 71 but I've just never gotten around to it.

Posts: 88 | Location: PNW | Registered: 07 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am replying to PMs and also respond with eMail when requested.

Bob Nisbet

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
I couldn't get the picture to show up for your details, darnit!!

I sold that 71 to fellow that guides bear hunter in Canada but lives in the USA..

I now have Browning that I recently purchased on AR...I have a base only for bolt peep. I will make a cut same as Win. then silver solder a Talley rear base to it. I will thin the Talley base down to the same specs as the base and it looks like the original except the base for the talley peep is a tad wider..I just havn't got around to that yet..I think I will however get the 71 base and the talley base tigged together on this one..I'll send you picture when done whenever that might be. Right now it has an ugly receiver sight on it that is for a mod. 94 and its not a good fit but it works.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW I recall reading somewhere that the Browning bolts are a lot harder than the original Win 71 bolts. Several years ago there was an outfit that was making repro bolt peep sights and I believe they had to redesign the base so they could machine the Browning bolt more easily.

Posts: 503 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote