Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safety conversion Swedish Mauser
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone had any luck using a Wisner or Chapman safety conversion on a 96 Swedish Mauser? Is there anything special to watch out for or can it be machined just like a 98 shroud?

Posts: 17 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 27 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done a number of them

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have them on a couple rifles, they are working fine, no different in use or appearance of the M98 type.
In my opinion it is a great improvement over the Military safety (both 96 and 98)for Sporting use.
On one of my 96's I have a Gentry 3 position (pretty sure Gentry no longer makes these)it is by far better than the 2 position but cost and availability make it a more difficult option.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:

That was informative (?) did you even read his question>?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, had good luck with making and installing them. Just like a 98 in principle.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:

That was informative (?) did you even read his question>?

WTF is that supposed to mean? They must have worked if I did them!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've installed a couple of the Chapman safeties. I would suggest that when fitting make sure there is a friction device that will not allow the safety to move loosely. This is usually an orange piece of polymer set in a hole drilled in the safety shank. On a Swede cocking piece there is an additional safety notch. This notch allowed the cocking piece to be locked when the fire control was de-cocked. If the safety is loose then when the gun is fired the safety can slightly engage the notch. When you try to cycle the bolt the safety can be pulled out by the cocking piece. I filled in this notch with some soft solder and solved the problem. The bolt shroud notch was cut with a Dremel using three cut-off discs ganged together.

quote:
Originally posted by CMWill:
Has anyone had any luck using a Wisner or Chapman safety conversion on a 96 Swedish Mauser? Is there anything special to watch out for or can it be machined just like a 98 shroud?

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
I've installed a couple of the Chapman safeties. I would suggest that when fitting make sure there is a friction device that will not allow the safety to move loosely. This is usually an orange piece of polymer set in a hole drilled in the safety shank. On a Swede cocking piece there is an additional safety notch. This notch allowed the cocking piece to be locked when the fire control was de-cocked. If the safety is loose then when the gun is fired the safety can slightly engage the notch. When you try to cycle the bolt the safety can be pulled out by the cocking piece. I filled in this notch with some soft solder and solved the problem. The bolt shroud notch was cut with a Dremel using three cut-off discs ganged together.

quote:
Originally posted by CMWill:

My experience has not been good with the Chapman's. The Wisner levers are Soooo much better. This would be the geometry of the lever, the pre-hardening and the conversion kit. There is a built in affair for tensioning the lever in them. You will need a different holding fixture for either one.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437