New
Find
Notify
Tools

Husqvarna Rifle ID??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just picked up this rifle from a cousin. He is looking to sell it but neither of us know its exact model or approximate value.

I am also looking at it as a donor for a larger bore....possibly 375H&H if even possible.

It is a 30-06 and the only markings visible without dissembly is:

HUSQVARNA VAPENFABRIKS A.B. 30-06 U.S.

Ser. Num. 205XXX

Other markings: A crown with a cross on top, something that looks like an Old English letter...possibly a B or an H, and the word Nitro

The bolt is jeweled all the way around it. The bluing shows some wear on the muzzle, some dings in the stock, the front and rear sights are missing.

Posts: 212 | Location: Forney TX | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at the 9.3x62 thread, seems we just went down this path last week.

Short answer its a Husky 1640, from your serial number range 55-56 year of manufacturer is my guess.

Look here: http://www.pettsons.net/m1600.html

These are nice rifles, wouldn't be a good choice for a 375H&H though, way too much fiddling required, you will end up with too many dollars tied up in the end, and the Husky action wasn't ever designed to be a Magnum, really a bad choice.

Value isn't great on these, pulling the scope, your high end is $400 max. For that I would keep it, you won't be able to replace it for the dollars you get out of it.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shromf,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if it has already been covered. Will check tthe website and 9.3x62 would be my second choice.

Kyle

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry if it has already been covered

No problem the thread is in medium bores and I just don't want to type it all over again.

I like Husky's and talking about them, its the next best thing to shooting them I guess.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sbhva
posted Hide Post
5Redman8;

This rifle is a US model 3000 made in about 1957 (I could tell for sure with a couple more digits in the serial number).

This action was designed for magnum loadings and it was available from the factory in 7 Mag and .358 Norma Mag (basically the equivalent of the 375 H&H). There is a gunsmith in Colorado that builds all kinds of heavy magnums on this action, but there is quite a bit of work involved since the action is "standard" length.

Here is a forum for Commercial Swedish firearms if you want more info.
http://www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=41

Steve

Posts: 120 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sbhva,

Thanks for the info. Checked out the site and will revisit soon.

Kyle

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
That "Pettsons" web site is very informitive.

With it I was able to answer all the question I had about a Husky project rifle I picked up in 9.3x62.

It was nice to find out it was a 98 FN action. I had no idea what I had before checking it out.

Thanks for mentioning it!!

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote