Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding advise please?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen:

I want to bed a Rem XP-100 rifle (converted from pistol) into a virgin McMillan stock inlet for my action. I plan on cerakoting the barreled action (with a heavy Kreiger bbl, fluted). Here's my question: Should I cerakote before or after I bed? My concern is that the cerakote will increase the diameter of the action and barrel shank just enough that the bedding will be too tight if I bed before I cerakote. If I bed after I cerakote, then there is always the risk of scuffing up the cerakote abit. What is the best procedure: cerakote first or bed first?

Thanks,

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jordan:
If I bed after I cerakote, then there is always the risk of scuffing up the cerakote abit. What is the best procedure: cerakote first or bed first?

Thanks,

I though Cerakote was suppose to be tough. Big Grin Regardless, with it adding somewhere between .001 and .002 to the dimnension, I wouldn't worry too much about it interfering with your bedding. Remember you will be applying a release agent to the action when you bed it and that can potentially change dimensions also. Neither one enough to cause trouble.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I agree with Westpac that it probably makes no great difference which one does first. Would add one resason I select bedding first before coating...

All common epoxy bedding materials have a very, very small percent of shrinkage as they set. (That means the bedding very slightly shrinks away from the barreled action, not that it gets tighter.) So, rather than make things too tight, the Cerracoating after bedding will likely just bring the bedding-fit dimensions back to where you wanted to start with.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote