Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 WSM Chambering
 Login/Join

posted
I am starting a new build of a 300 WSM on a trued Rem 700 LA. I would like to think that with the LA magazine and the ability to seat the bullets out further to maintain/increase powder capacity I can effectively get higher velocities with the longer and heavier bullets. Any suggestions on how much additional leade over SAAMI specks would be beneficial? I would like to shoot 168 - 190 gr bullets.

Posts: 12 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 11 January 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have set up a dummy round with the 175 gr Barnes Long Range TTSX. Easily fits my LA magazine and COL is 3.153". Too long is rifle is throated properly. Base of bullet comes to base of neck.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you are using a long action, why go with a short mag cartridge?; just go ahead and go for the 300 RUM.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would like to get rid of the belt and have an efficient cartridge. The RUM is too overbore for my taste.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
At your 3.15 you are gaining about 8% net powder volume based on QL. So a basic 06 type case gives about 1% velocity for 4% capacity. A larger case will give less. So going to your max you can gain 50-60 fps.

If you are going long and using a LA why not take it long enough to handle your longest planned bullet. Just remember shorter bullets will end up with a good jump to the lands.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The mono-metal bullets need to be loaded a ways off the lands (usually .040 to .050"), if that is what you intend to use in it, so that needs to be factored into your length.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good point and thank you.