New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun care/cleaning
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Couple of questions arose today when cleaning a rifle: 1)Read a recommendation(by Jim Carmichael in Outdoor Life?) to use brake cleaner to clean brass brushes after brushing barrel, which I have been doing, when using brass brushes. Now, I usually use nylon brushes. But, I am afraid to use brake cleaner on the nylon for fear of it "eating" them up. Anyone know if brake cleaner harmful to nylon? 2) Accumulation of gun oil softens/degrades wood gunstocks over time. What does it do to synthetic stocks? Is it harmful?

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
What do you use on the nylon brushes that requires they be cleaned with brake cleaner? I don't use nylon so I can't tell you. I use bronze brushes exclusively. If they need cleaning I use Kerosene.

The material in synthetic stocks aren't usually harmed by bore cleaners and solvents. Some paint finishes might be so I would avoid letting the stuff sit on the finish very long. If in doubt, check with the manufacturer of the stock for their recommendations.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a 2 part Shooter's Choice to 1 part Kroil to clean my barrels. After brushing with this mix I flush the bronze brush with plain old rubbing alcohol. Every once in a while, when loading indoors at a BR match, I get a big whiff of Brake cleaner. So some people are using it as well.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the brake cleaner to wash off the sweets copper stuff off the nylon brushes. Works well, also use it on the bronse brushes after shooters choice or butches bore shine! Curly

Posts: 49 | Location: the Evergreen State | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it needs to be said, maybe not, but most brake cleaner is pretty toxic stuff, wear gloves and use proper ventilation.

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
Maybe it needs to be said, maybe not, but most brake cleaner is pretty toxic stuff, wear gloves and use proper ventilation.

Yep, Brake cleaner is some nasty stuff. Rather wash my hands in with wet concrete. Even Carb cleaner would be a beter choice.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:

Yep, Brake cleaner is some nasty stuff. Rather wash my hands in with wet concrete. Even Carb cleaner would be a beter choice.

Precisely why I now use Wipe Out bore cleaner, and no longer expose myself to such chemicals. Plus, it flat works!

Jeff