New
Find
Notify
Tools

1917 actions ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend asked if I wanted any of the "old" actions he had laying around and by the time I got there (apparantly he asked other people too) All he had left were a couple mexican mausers that were so rusted I din't think they were useful. I did find an action though. I picked what he said is a 1917 action but I am not familiar it. The letters ERA are on the right side of the receiver ring and below it the serial number 62812-bolt number matches. All it cost me was a few gallons of diesel to get there and back about 5 gals. This action is very long and cocks upon closing. It has "ears" as he called them and he says they will need to be milled off. I am a pretty good machinist but I am not comfortable tackling this job. Is this action any good? If so what can be built on it?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a piece of junk. Send it to me and I will take care of that dangerous thing for you.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Generally the 1917 has been the basis for a custom rifle ..any where from 300H&H to the 600 calibres.

The ERA have gotten a bad wrap due to reported cracking however I've never seen one. They make great rifles and once ground and the marking removed you would be hard press to id it. If this cost you a few miles on your truck you're money ahead.

Taking the ear of is a simple process...1st decide on a profile...you might want to use remington or winchester model 70 profile as scope bases are readily available. Staighten the trigger guard and bolt handle...will compete with any magnum Mauser for a fraction of the cost.

It would be great if there was custom bottom metal being made...would make a great conversion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC, M17's never had matching numbers because only the receiver carried one (my '17 bolts, and other parts, aren't numbered, but they carry the Remington "R").

Is it a P14?

-jes curious...

quote:

It would be great if there was custom bottom metal being made...would make a great conversion.

Don Markey, amongst others, does Enfield guards.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
IIRC, M17's never had matching numbers because only the receiver carried one (my '17 bolts, and other parts, aren't numbered, but they carry the Remington "R").

Is it a P14?

-jes curious...

Don Markey, amongst others, does Enfield guards.

What is the difference in a P14 and a 1917? The serial number is stencilled in the underside of the bolt handle. Same number as on the receiver.
Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Pattern 14 was made for the British by Winchester and Remington. It was chambered for the rimmed 303 British cartridge. The P14 has a magazine designed for the 303 rimmed cartridge, and a larger bolt face to fit the rim. ERA means it was made at the Eddystone plant by Remington Arms.

This design was later modified to make the Model 1917 30-06 rifle for the US.

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Didn't the M17s have the manufacturer stamped lengthwise on the top of the ring also. "Remington", "Eddystone" or "Winchester"????

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sooo, if your bolt is stenciled, whatta ya got?

Mine aren't, but my receiver is an M17, as per the front ring.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to see some photos of what can be done with that action take a look at this current post here on AR.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2711043/m/966106949

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
A friend asked if I wanted any of the "old" actions he had laying around and by the time I got there (apparantly he asked other people too) All he had left were a couple mexican mausers that were so rusted I din't think they were useful. I did find an action though. I picked what he said is a 1917 action but I am not familiar it. The letters ERA are on the right side of the receiver ring and below it the serial number 62812-bolt number matches. All it cost me was a few gallons of diesel to get there and back about 5 gals. This action is very long and cocks upon closing. It has "ears" as he called them and he says they will need to be milled off. I am a pretty good machinist but I am not comfortable tackling this job. Is this action any good? If so what can be built on it?

Andy

Sounds like an Eddystone. Ahlman's in Morristown, MN can remove the ears, fill the slot underneath, convert to cock on closing and straighten the floorplate for a reasonable price. Probably some of the smiths here on AR can do the same but I don't know them. I think the cracking issue was because the barrels were torqued into the action tightly. They do not make a lightweight rifle but are excellent for the big boomers.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Once in awhile one finds a 1917 Enfield action that has a cracked receiver ring - most often such cracked actions are of the Eddystone manufacture. However, it appears that such cracked rings are not basically due to a manufacturing fault, but were caused when someone tried to unscrew the very tightly fitted barrel, and cracked the receiver ring in the process.

One can have the receiver maganfluxed, or merely soaking the receiver in a lightweight oil, then wiping the exterior free of oil and sibsequently squeezing the receiver ring (lightly!!) in a vise will reveal cracks-the oil oozes out of the cracks under pressure of the vise. 1917's (and the P14 qas well) make good magnum conversions. However, original barrel removal should be done by someone familiar with the problems involved.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I'm having a 500 Jeffery built on an Eddystone 1917. My gunsmith says the Eddystone's work just fine. We shall see...

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My M1917 Eddystone is marked Eddystone on the receiver and "E" elsewhere; ERA appear nowhere on the rifle. However, the P14s were marked with ERA in small letters (about .13")on the receiver ring.
The P14 serial number will also appear on the bolt handle. Both M1917 & P14 may have an oval recess ("pond") on the rear bridge. Both are of equal strength. With a little fitting, the bottom metal from a M1903 can be used on a M1917, but I'm not sure if it can be done with a P14. The most common conversion is to mill the bridge to the same diameter as the receiver ring (as in the Rem 30). Conversion to cock-on-open is useful in that it shortens the striker fall.

Bud W

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sound Metal Products (bottommetal.com) is testing the waters for a run of Enfield bottom metal based on the Rigby style...would appreciate your input...Thanks. Duane Wiebe (cgrs@earthlink.net)

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I guess my question has been answered. I have a P-14. The only other difference I noticed is that the threads in the receiver are square and not a v-type thread. I will get it magnafluxed before I get my hopes up for having a big bore built. How big can one go on this action?
Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the action isn't cracked and still original you might do ok trading for a sportered one and some cash, or selling it outright. Original M1917's are rising in value and since almost all of them were re arsenaled mixed parts are the norm.

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Since you have a P-14 bolt you can go very big a little easier. Your bolt face is larger and there is a slight difference in the left lug that supports fat case rims slightly better during feeding. People sometimes buy a P-14 bolt for their P-17 action for that reason.

They make very nice ultra big bores like the 500 A-Square, 505 Gibbs, any of the big Weatherby rounds, probably 600 OK, 550 Magnum, and so on.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
People sometimes buy a P-14 bolt for their P-17 action for that reason.

is that a drop-in swap?

any mods to the bolt for a fit in an M17 receiver?

always wanted to know.

thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
quote:
People sometimes buy a P-14 bolt for their P-17 action for that reason.

is that a drop-in swap?

any mods to the bolt for a fit in an M17 receiver?

always wanted to know.

thanks.

Drop in swap without a barrel. The breeching is different from the different front lug, but if you haven't barrelled it yet there are no concerns. I have about a dozen left if you are looking.
-Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

If you want to see what can be done with a 1917 PM AR member Andy E and have him send you a couple of pics of the .404 Jeffrey that he built himself on a 1917. I had the good fortune to examine it a few weeks ago and it is a beautiful piece of work. What a sweet little rifle, it was hard to keep from drooling all over it.

Andy

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Sound Metal Products (bottommetal.com) is testing the waters for a run of Enfield bottom metal based on the Rigby style...would appreciate your input...Thanks. Duane Wiebe (cgrs@earthlink.net)

Email sent. VERY interested.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I already have varmint rifles, quarter bores, 30 caliber nonmagnums and a .375H&H. I am now interested in a stomper so maybe a 600-OK is in order. Stomper strength in my opinion is never a substitute for shot placement. Shot placement is king. However I have always wanted something bigger than .458 or .500. The 600ok might just do the trick. Where can I get info(as if I don't already have a good idea)reloading and otherwise about this 600ok?
Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Here is another example of what can be done; this one is a Remington 1917 in .458 Lott by Duane Wiebe.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fine looking weapon there Boomer. How does she shoot?

AB

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
It shoots as good as it looks, 3-shot groups with 500-grain Speer's go right around one-inch, even with the 2x scope, and I can regularly hit ground squirrels at 200 yards with 350-grain Speer flat points. The hard part with the squirrels is that the cross hairs of the scope completely cover them.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
It shoots as good as it looks, 3-shot groups with 500-grain Speer's go right around one-inch, even with the 2x scope, and I can regularly hit ground squirrels at 200 yards with 350-grain Speer flat points. The hard part with the squirrels is that the cross hairs of the scope completely cover them.

I bet that looks like dropping a 10 pound brick on a caterpillarSmilerSmiler

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Ask Shumba or Kyler who post here what it looks like. They have both watched me make flying squirrels!