New
Find
Notify
Tools

from .243Win. to .257Roberts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an old Savage 110 in .243Win. The barrel has finally given up the ghost. I'd like to
send it off for a new barrel in .257Roberts. Is it possible to rebarrel this .243 to a .257
Roberts? I'd probably want a 24" stainless steel tube from Hart. Anyone can enlighten me a
bit on this one? Thanks and best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you can If the magazine well is long enough, and the bolt travel is long enough. Same case head size anyway. If your dimensions aren't right you can convert to the .25/.308, aka .25 Souper as I recall.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
If it's an old Savage 110 the magazine box length will be fine. My 1982 vintage Savage 110DL (243 Win) will fit full length 30.06 rounds in it.

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if it's a 110 (especially older than 5 years) you can do a 257 roberts, 25-06 or 257 weatherby (with a new bolthead)

Call pacnor and have a ball

jeffe

Posts: 39706 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot guys. That's all I need to know. I'm off to Harts. All my adult life I've wanted
a Roberts, but have found them hard to come by. I just bought a Remington VLS in 6mm Rem.
so I won't miss the .243Win. too much. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal,

since the 6 mm Rem is available in the short action in the VLS, even the short action will take the 257 R.

Good choice on an old classic.

I was going to redo one of my 243's into the 250 Savage, just as giving honor to a round that everyone says is obsolete.

I hunt a lot with the 6.5 x 57 as one of my favorite cartridges. I use 257 Brass. Went with the 65. version just to be able to use the larger than 120 grain bullets. Being only 7 thousands bigger in diameter, they are pretty much the same round to me. Much like the 270 or 280.

Always love it when someone goes with an older proven round to prove they work just as well still, if not as good or better as some of the new Whatever Short Magnum.

Your a good man Charlie Brown!!! [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote