THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    How do I disassemble a Winchester Model 62A .....

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I disassemble a Winchester Model 62A .....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Once I unscrew the large "takedown" screw on the side of the receiver, how do I pull apart the barrel assembly from the receiver assembly on my newly acquired Model 62A ? I don't want to just jerk & pull on the two part assemblies (unless that's the procedure). Thanks for your help.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It should just come apart. Maybe gummy oil is holding it

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably is old congealed oil; however, do I just pull it apart, or bend as I pull in a certain direction ? Also, does the magazine rod have to be removed, or the hammer cocked, or what ? Thanks.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just used my 62a today on some ducks.

Lets see...

Dont have to cock it, it pulls straight apart foward. Trigger guard stays the rest pulls off foward

Fits pretty snug at the screw area. Dryed oil propably has it glued together

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My technique for this is to put the barrel in a padded vise. Grab the grip section of the stock with one hand and hit that hand with my other hand. That works better than tugging and pulling.

While you could use a rawhide or plastic mallet to tap (tap, not hit) the trigger guard to the rear, you've got to be careful. And hold the grip with the other hand to keep the whole thing from hitting the floor should it come apart all at once.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote