THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M 98 Extractor needed (SArco Extractor received)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I've got a MKX that someone cut the extractor a little short. It leaves about every 3rd case in the action. Are any of the new manufacture extractors any good? Or does someone have a m98 in good shape they want to part with?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
http://e-sarcoinc.com/mk10msrextractor.aspx

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Rub Line. I had seen those. I "THOUGHT" I had heard they were new manufacture but appeared to be cast. Anyone tried them? For $17 might be worth just trying.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They work as advertised.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brownells has new ones in standard

When reviews like this are on Brownel's site I get concerned
""Did not fit and looks like a cast part. Hopefully I can return this one. Not worth buying. It is supposed to be pre fitted. Not even close. I took it to a gun smith to double check and they said to return it.They said they neve seen something so badly made.""

Comments from the Midway site on their extractor
""Not happy with product, rust on part, machining not very good. Has pits on both surfaces. ""

With comments like these it makes me a little concerned about purchasing one.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the Sarco extractors, but their MkX parts did come from Interarms and it is listed under MkX parts.

You might want to send them an email to confirm that these are actually MkX extractors, (I'd say call Sarco Customer Service but they generally aren't as helpful).

Or just take the risk and order one! I've always had good luck with Sarco parts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
Brownells has new ones in standard

When reviews like this are on Brownel's site I get concerned
""Did not fit and looks like a cast part. Hopefully I can return this one. Not worth buying. It is supposed to be pre fitted. Not even close. I took it to a gun smith to double check and they said to return it.They said they neve seen something so badly made.""

Comments from the Midway site on their extractor
""Not happy with product, rust on part, machining not very good. Has pits on both surfaces. ""

With comments like these it makes me a little concerned about purchasing one.

Those Brownells extractors are shite! They are narrower than standard, thicker, and are not drop in by any means.

I've had two rifles sent to me recently for feeding issues. Both had these replacement extractors. Simply replacing the extractor was all that was required to return the rifles to functioning.

Any 98/vz24 extractor will work. The replacement 1909 Argentines can be made to work but were designed for a different cartridge spec than anything issued on the Mk X action.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Bit the bullet and ordered from Sarco

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why is it that people can't or won't make things as good as they did a hundred years ago?

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'll post my opinion of the Sarco extractor when it gets here.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's the size and shape of the original, I'd like to know also. I have one from Midway or Brownells and it is narrower, thicker, missing shapes...etc. Junky to me. As far as paying a hundred for one machined like original, the one I bought is machined. It's just wrong. It doesn't take any longer to machine something right as long as the operations are the same. Nothing more than typical "close enough" aftermarket.

Posts: 90 | Location: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: 13 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since the one you have now is junk (at least on that particular rifle) how about removing .010 or .020" from the guide foot that rides in the undercut groove near the front of the bolt. That may allow the hook to move in close enough to work properly.

Wrap some emery cloth around something round that is a bit smaller that the bolt diameter in that groove, and have at it.

Or try a properly sized abrasive Dremel wheel.

I salvaged a 03 Springfield extractor that way once.

Posts: 266 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You think a machined one would go for $100? I don't know, but I can't imagine it taking almost 6 times longer to CNC machine an extractor over casting one...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Ramrod,
I think I have a few around.
Will let you know.

Posts: 3322 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I'll post my opinion of the Sarco extractor when it gets here.

If that fails you might contact EAA. They are the current importer for the Zastava line and can probably get parts.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the leads. Redoak I might try playing with the old one. Hopefully the one from sarco will work. I have a name of a guy in Kansas that sells daily/798 parts of he is a backup as well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

If the extractor is too loose on the case, I have ground the under side of the extractor with a Dremel tool using the thin cut off wheels. Shape the wheels down to the size of the area you need to grind. If the hook is too tight over the bolt lugs grind a few thousands at a time and try the extractor. Grind slowly and try!! Check to make sure not to get the parts too hot on grinding and draw the temper. Some times you may need to bend the extractor to create more pressure on the hook end.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Took almost 3 weeks but I did received my Sarco MKX replacement extractor. For $16 I was pleased.

The Sarco extractor is on the top a MKX factory on the bottom.

The Sarco has a line across the middle more like my FN than the MKX The MKX is 4.248" long the Sarco 4.247" The MKX is .423" wide at the front the Sarco .427. The distance from the front of the extractor to rear of the locking ring on the MKX .337" the Sarco .334".

The lip on the extractor is more squared off than The MKX (right)

With no motification I installed it on my 243 and ran 5 dummies 3 times through it without a failure.

I might do a touch of shaping but for now I'll leave well enough alone.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a whole lot closer to original than the one I bought from whoever's catalog that's for sure.

Posts: 90 | Location: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: 13 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod,

the extractor with the anchor on it is a 1909 Argentine model

Bob

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
the extractor with the anchor on it is a 1909 Argentine model

Interesting. Is that why the front lip is different? Didn't check to see if it was expanding the extractor outward and the case slipped under.

Well just compared the new extractor function to the MKX. Appears the Sarco is designed for a case with a slightly larger dia groove(7.65?). The 243 case actually moved the MKX extractor outward it doesn't on the sarco. Gap between the extractor and the bolt face are about the same. Didn't have a quick and easy way to measure at the time.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went thru this myself with an '09 Arg rebarreled to 257 Roberts. The original Arg extractor would not work properly with 257 ammo. Changed it to a standard (7x57, 8x57) 98 and everything worked fine. The Sarco extractor is Arg, and they are different than the "standard" 98s.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The original Arg extractor would not work properly with 257 ammo

This extractor is working for both 243 brass and Istuck it on an 06 and it worked fine there as well. What kind of issues did you have with the 257?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rounds were not being held tightly by the extractor, if the action was cycled quickly the rounds had a tendancy to pop loose.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks I'll make sure I check it in FAST mode. Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Went thru this myself with an '09 Arg rebarreled to 257 Roberts. The original Arg extractor would not work properly with 257 ammo. Changed it to a standard (7x57, 8x57) 98 and everything worked fine.

But if the .257 Roberts is just a necked down 7x57 why would this cause a problem? Is commercial .257 ammo a bit different?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only takes a few seconds with a dremel tool to adjust the argie extractor to fit the 06 rim. I get cut off wheels to match the radius (or size them down) and stack 3 or 4 to build up the thickness to make a grinding wheel. You can probably adjust your original just as easy
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will say that one difference I have always noted with MkX extractors is that they work well in single loading mode. I first noticed this when I bought one of the single shot MkX'x years ago. I noticed that (obviously) it worked well even though it wasn't feeding from a magazine. I put the MkX bolt assembly in a couple of model 98's, and they worked well with that bolt when loaded straight into the chamber. A lot of Mauser bolts don't, and in fact some people claim you can break the extractor doing this. I have always liked the MkX profile for that reason.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Went thru this myself with an '09 Arg rebarreled to 257 Roberts. The original Arg extractor would not work properly with 257 ammo. Changed it to a standard (7x57, 8x57) 98 and everything worked fine.

But if the .257 Roberts is just a necked down 7x57 why would this cause a problem? Is commercial .257 ammo a bit different?

The difference is the configuration of the extractor groove of the original 7.65 Belgian (Arg) cartridge. The 7x57 and 8x57 are the same, but not the same as the 7.65.