New
Find
Notify
Tools

Locating a barrel????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My buddy was just telling me about the 17 rimfire. Is there a barrel in this caliber for the 10/22 out yet? I'm hoping Volquartsen has one but I couldn't find anything on the website. Thanks for any help

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Montana Rifleman http://www.montanarifleman.com has been making 17 cal barrels in 17 HRM for the Ruger 10/22 Magnum for quite some time now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy, you just heard about the .17 HMR???? Does your cave have electricity? Where have you been?

Okay I am done bashing you. You rarely give anyone the opportunity so I could not pass it up.

This round is more akin to the magnum round and I think there are barrels available for the 10/22 magnum.

BUT, if you are trying to "locate" a barrel, it is the long thing that is cylindrical and starts about 3 inches ahead of the trigger and goes all the way to the end of the rifle. The other end, lol.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn you guys are tough today

I was told this is based on the 22LR not the magnum. Maybe called the 17 MachII or something like that.

Also, Chic, you would look funny riding a beemer,

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's NEW and it's a 17 based on the 22lr case. A place in Boise Idaho is makeing 10/22 barrels and Hornady is supposed to be makeing the ammo. I saw a proto type round that a local gun dealer brought back from the Shot show. I don't know when it will all happen though.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LAR, thanks buddy, I thought just maybe I could have been wrong!!!!It would be the first time though

<KBGuns>
posted
There are two names for the .17-22LR that I know of. The first is the .17 Aguila< !--color-->. I recall seeing an add for it, in Guns&Ammo I believe, before .17HRM came about. The second, is called .17 High Standard < !--color-->, which may or may not be the same cartridge as the Aguila.

This page has a picture of the Aguila/High Standard and says those two are the same cartridge.

Kristofer

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
Haha, that is too funny.

Kristofer

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I saw one today Volquartsen action 17rim fire at a gun show. Nice looking rig. should have looked closer at the barrel. it was heavy barrel with a spiral flute.
they were asking $900. way to much for me.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh crap, Lar45, you could have kept quiet. It is rare when we can rib Jimmy. I expect all kinds of indecent mail now.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Haha, that is too funny

Sorry KB but it`s no joke, check this link out.. www.hornady.com/story.php?s=51

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I feel so much better now

Chic, you do have MAIL

one of us
posted Hide Post
I must be in the same cave cause this is the first I've heard of the 22LR being necked to 17 cal. Will have to do some of my own research.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .17 Aguila ia a necked down .22 rimfire. I spoke with Centurion Arms over a year ago, who handles Aguila ammo here in the US, and they were having a lot on trouble with production due to wore out machinery. Firearms Int'l of Houston, Tx, was supplying barrels to fit a 10/22 and a High Standard pistol.If I remember the facts correctly.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Jimmy,
while these other guys are kicking you (and havnig fun) i'll answer your question, as you had TWO

1: is there a kit for the 10/22 to a 17 caliber? (and the guys here trounced you for 17HRM)... Not for the 10/22 in 17 HRM,,, but I understand that there is a 17 HRF or HR (rimfire) that is the 22 LR necked down, rather than the 22 mag.

the 22 mag is UNSAFE is a "regular" 10/22

2: where to get a barrel? shilen, pacnor, brownells, midway

3: can you get one cheap? Yep... 179-400 bucks

4: is there a pistol for this? several

It's a great caliber, and has true potential for the "true" varmits... rats, cats, snakes, jays, squirrels, coon possum, etc....

Heck, it may even be a good turkey round

jeffe

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jeffe, hey I'm a big boy,I can taking a little kickin now and then, I have even been known to be the kicker once in a while Thats the good part of this board, a bit of humor.
It sounds like the ammo won't be available fora while so I guess I will have a bit of time to get the other parts I need.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Jimmy, you just heard about the .17 HMR???? Does your cave have electricity? Where have you been?

Jimmy doesn't read gun rags.

In late 2001, if you didn't get a plane ticket, a 17HMR rifle, ammo, and an advertisement purchase order, you are not a gun writer.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a Ruger 10/22 in 22Mag, Butler Creek makes a drop-in barrel for it.
I have them currently in stock.
They come in a few different colors and variations.

www.cliffsgunsmithing.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems like several of you guys are making the same mistake that I did at first, thinking, "Who hasn't heard of the 17 HRM?"...... This is not the 17 HRM... .this is the 17 HRM2.... it's not on the 22 mag case, it's on the 22 long rifle case.... there are TWO of the 17 rimfires now... I hadn't heard of the second one until this thread started.. I'm curious to see how much the ammo is going to be for it.... sounds like it will be fun, even though it will never be as cheap to shoot as the 22lr.... the bullets are too expensive for the new little 17.

Posts: 323 | Location: N.Central Texas | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote