Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 99E
 Login/Join

posted
Where can one find specific dissasemble/reassemble directions for the Savage 99E?

ser# above 1,000,000

Posts: 2 | Location: SE OK | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
Here's a schematic: http://www.okiegunsmithshop.com/savage_99.jpg

You have to remove the rear stock. After that everything if fairly straight forward (at least I was able to figure it out). Good luck.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 99E and it is a rotary mag, not a box mag like that picture.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tore mine down and cleaned it, then reassembled, with the Rifle volume of the Firearms disassembly series. Fairly straight forward, although it did help to have a second gun around to look at in case of emergency.

But even this disassembly manual flatley states that taking apart the rotor assembly should be avoided like the plague. Apparently real pain to get back together and timed correctly.

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best rule of thumb with a Savage rotary magazine: DON'T TOUCH IT!!! The equisite skill needed to make those work went into retirement in the early 1960's.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Savage rotary magazine should be removed once a year or after rain etc. Need to clean out all the old oil and crud that gets below the magazine.

Remove forstock, remove screw/pin retainer from left front of receiver. Push out from right side with thin punch.

After clean and oil install rotary magazine, with screw driver turn front screw of magazine counterclock wise untill number one showes in window, turn screw one half turn more and install screw/pin retainer in the left front of receiver.

Pat yourself on the back and install forstock you are done.