New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question, Ruger Old Army & 45LC
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was chatting with a range master on my last shooting trip.
I asked what kinds of guns he likes to shoot and his favorites are muzzle loaders.

He told me that he bought a Ruger Old Army in .45cal and also purchased a Ruger Blackhawk cylinder in 45LC.
He said you can load up the 45LC cylinder (with 45LC ammo) and put it in the Old Army and shoot those too.

I have two questions.
-Has anyone else done this?
-If it works (and I assume it does because I trust his word) would you be limited to light cowboy loads in 45LC or could it handle higher pressures. When I say higher pressures I'm thinking along the lines of suitable deer ammo.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I have not done this yet, but plan to get one of these cylinders for the .45 Colt. They run around $300.00. Despite the Old Army's obvious strength, I believe it is best to limit the smokeless powder loads used in such a rig to factory pressures - certainly no more than the S&W M25's can handle (250-grain cast bullet @ +-1,000 fps). I say this based on the design of the Old Army, which has such a large frame opening, with a lot of metal cut out for the rammer system in the front part of the frame. However, I would not hesitate to use MAX BLACK POWDER/Pyrodex or other substitute loads in this rig!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This topic has come up a few times in my store in the past few weeks.

IT IS A FELONY TO MANUFACTURE A FIREARM WITHOUT A LICENSE!

Think about it, if this were a legal thing, then why wouldn't Ruger sell you a Vaquero with no paperwork in a blackpowder cartridge, and then include a 357 Mag cylinder in the box?

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not know if it is illegal to convert a cap and ball revolver to cartridge, but there a several companies that specifically do this with colt and remingto c&b guns, and they have been in business for years and continue to be in business. I don't think they are flying under the BATF's radar either - they advertise nationally in many publications.

In the case of the Old Army, how does the simple cylinder swap deal with the lack of a firing pin in the Old Army gun? My guess is that this is NOT a simple 45C Blackhawk swap. I bet there is a bit more to it.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the case of the Old Army, how does the simple cylinder swap deal with the lack of a firing pin in the Old Army gun? My guess is that this is NOT a simple 45C Blackhawk swap. I bet there is a bit more to it.

This is a "conversion" cylinder that has the firing pin incorporated into a plate that is between the hammer and the part of the cylinder that houses the cartridge.

I think this comes under some type of curio and relic type of thing as these conversions are perfectly legal on a genuine antique.

I saw them listed @ one of the mail order houses. They do not require an FFL.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShopCartRacing:

Think about it, if this were a legal thing, then why wouldn't Ruger sell you a Vaquero with no paperwork in a blackpowder cartridge, and then include a 357 Mag cylinder in the box?

-Spencer

It is not illegal under federal law to manufacture your own firarm so long as the gun is never transfered to anyone else and it is legal for you to own whatever gun it is you made.
In NC, where I live, it is not illegal to manufacture a firearm. In Durham County, where I live, it is not illegal although I will have to register it.
I know the laws, I have been researching building my own 1911 from an 80% reciever for a while.

Store owners don't know everything...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a "conversion" cylinder that has the firing pin incorporated into a plate that is between the hammer and the part of the cylinder that houses the cartridge.

I think this comes under some type of curio and relic type of thing as these conversions are perfectly legal on a genuine antique.

I saw them listed @ one of the mail order houses. They do not require an FFL.

Is the plate separate from the cylinder or is this cylinder completely not like a Blackhawk cylinder?

BTW, a conversion cylinder would be completely legal. The only part of a revolver that is the actual gun itself is the frame. Any other part is just a part that is not regulated the same way a completed firearm or a firearm frame/reciever is.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShopCartRacing:

-Spencer

This is NOT something that concerns me a hellofa lot!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote