New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt Cobra re-nickel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My brother's father in law is a retired LEO, has his fathers Colt Cobra in nickel finish that his father carried as a detective. The nickel finish is starting to flake off and he would like to have it refinished. Anyone have any experience with a reputable operation to send this off to?

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Wow thats quite the hand cannon

I watched a Python and a Cobra fetch nearly 2k each at an estate auction last month

I hope you can get it back to new shape again

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brandon:
I would consider one of two places. 1st would be Colt, but with their financial situation and, I think, around a 2 year back log on refinishing, I would probably go with Fords. Just type in Fords firearm refinishing on Google and you will find it. If you look at the gallery section they do work that is as close to perfect as one can get. I think they are about 6 or so months backlogged, but that was several months ago when I called. It will probably be close to the $350 mark, but will be worth it.

Posts: 1665 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure that it is nickle? Sounds like chrome.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Are you sure that it is nickle? Sounds like chrome.

I'm not 100% sure. Was that a factory finish from Colt?

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really don't know. I've had nickle stripped and redone. It wasn't very expensive. If it is shiny like a bumper, it is probably chrome.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it was original factory finish then it was nickel plated. You might contact Colt and request a letter from them. Takes awhile to get it and a bit on the expensive side but would be great to have so you have a history of the gun.

Posts: 1665 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've short and limited knowledge, but from what I do know peeling or flaking nickel is often a sign of a weapon that was NOT originally nickel plated in factory.

However it is fortunately one of the easiest, if really nickel plated, to both strip and refinish well.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote