Find
Notify
Tools

I hate my Remington Model 7!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Now wait a minute! I thought Remingtons were the most accurate "out of the box" rifles produced, replete with three rings of steel and all of that nonsense??? trade it in and get a Winchester. In addition to buying a great looking rifle, once you break it in, it will shoot rings ( threeSmiler around any Remington and you won't have to worry about the bolt handle falling off, the safety not working and broken puny extractors. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Now wait a minute! I thought Remingtons were the most accurate "out of the box" rifles produced, replete with three rings of steel and all of that nonsense??? You won't have to worry about the bolt handle falling off, the safety not working and broken puny extractors. jorge

Very true indeed

I wonder how factories can produce such crap with all the sofisticated machines [Big Grin] Remington used to be quite nice. When they started to make the silly key lock and all the "el cheapo models" I have choosen to look at other brands. Why haven't Remington learned anything from it's competitiors [Mad]

I think they have hired the small fury guys from the Zoo working for yellow bent fruit, just to save a few extra $$ [Big Grin] [Eek!] [Embarrassed]

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
OK, I just gotta weigh in on this thread:

First off, I gotta say this - K. Nimrod, you tell us that you got back from Remington a factory spec. gun with a light weight, short barrel, in 7-08 (not 6 ppc or 7 BR or 22/250 or 22 Hornet) that groups 10 (not 5 or 3) shots into 1.5" and you have a problem with that? Sounds like real decent performance for a factory built, light weight, field grade gun to me.

Seems to me that that's about all you can expect reasonably. I've said it on another post not too long ago and after reading the widely divergent posts on this thread can only repeat it: you buy a factory built gun and its a crap shoot - some shoot like the proverbial house afire while the next gun off the rack can't be made to shoot at all! If you want guaranteed accuracy either get yourself a custom built or accurized gun from a reputable smith OR test shoot the darn thing before plunking down your long green!

NOW, the really curious thing I want a definitive answer to is HOW THE HECK CAN A GUN PRINT 16" HIGHER AT 200 YARDS THAN IT DOES AT 100????
HAS GRAVITY BEEN REPEALED OR WHAT? I don't even see how an eccentric or non-straight bore can account for that.

Once again, inquiring minds [Confused] want to know!

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Model 7 in .308. Very good shooter. Its completly stock. Weird, must be a lemon for sure

Posts: 90 | Location: albany,ny,usa | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sonofagun.
There are lots of ways for a gun to be off like I described,,,action isn't bored true relative to the barrel. Barrel is bored off center. Lots of ways.
In a properly set up gun you are correct. That shouldn't happen. But it did!
The big gripe I have with the gun, at least after I got it back the first time, is that the most basic accuracy improvements don't really do much to help...bedding, trigger, free floating etc.
I've probably got 17 0r 18 rifles in my safe and not one has ever given me problems like this gun or been this inconsistent.

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
I dunno. I still want a technical explanation of how the gun shot the way you describe. Have you tried checking impact from 100 to 200 yds. again?
Ya know its kinda amazing that Rem would do all that work on a gun for free when you think about it.

Hey, if nothing else 1 out of 17 or 18 'taint bad! [Eek!]

[ 12-31-2002, 14:01: Message edited by: sonofagun ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kentucky Nimrod:
At 100 yards its still 2" high. At 200 yards it prints over 18" high

I'm wondering about this as well. Draw yourself a little "close-to-scale" type drawing. If you figure the scope is roughly 1 1/2" above the bore, and you are 2" high at 100 yards, there is no way for the bullet to be over 18" high at 200 yds unless it actually ARCHES UPWARD. Completely against all known laws of nature. You'd have a 3 1/2" "rise" about line of sight in the first 100 yards, how would it gain 15" MORE in the next 100 yards.

Bent barrel, off-center something, whatever, I just don't see how this could work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried it beyond 100 since I got it back. It shoots so poorly at 100 that its not worth playing with at extended ranges.

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Right on, Cold Bore - exactly my point - as K. Nimrod said "WTF". Sure would like to hear somebody 'splain this!

Another weird thing I saw once were bullets grouping to the left of aim point at 100 yards and then grouping a few inches lower but TO THE RIGHT(!) at 200 yards and (get this) THESE ROUNDS WERE FIRED SIMULTANEOUSLY THROUGH THE TARGET AT 100 YARDS AND THEN PRINTED ON 200 YARD TARGET.

'splain that too! [Confused] [Confused]

Nimrod - we'll take up a collection to pay for the ammo - go see if it'll still hit higher at 200 yards than 100 - maybe you got a miracle gun worth $XXXXXXXXX.XX! [Eek!] We gotta know!!

[ 01-01-2003, 02:56: Message edited by: sonofagun ]

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I've hunted for 5 years with my Model 7 SS in 308 Winchester with Timney trigger.

It's a jewel... It'll shoot three 150gr Nosler Partitions into 1/2" at 100 if you let the barrel cool for awhile between shots and are extremely careful.

Or you can stack 10 inside an inch and a quarter at 100yds for grins.

It's light, handy, easy to carry, and quite simply the best lightweight hunting rifle I've ever owned, hands down, and I've owned a few.... [Wink]

I'm chomping at the bit to get one in 300SAUM for elk, mulie, and black bear hunting.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah... something I forgot to mention. I finally got Remington to admit that they had produced a bunch of bad barrels for the Model 7 a few years ago....

They made a run of them in 260 Remington and the gun store I worked for had to replace almost every one we sold. I personally tested over 10 of them that wouldn't "pattern" better than 4" at 100yds before we confronted Remington and several grouped at about 8".

Rumors had it (at that time) that some of their other barrels in other calibers were crap too...

It can and will happen to almost any production rifle maker and for the super cheap prices we pay for rifles today (in constant dollars) I contend that these sort of problems are acceptible risk.

When I buy a rifle I get to the range with it as soon as I can with a handful of different loads and if they won't group withing 1.25" right out of the box I just resell them... It's worked for me and I've never dumped money into a "lemon"....

I've never seen Remington or Winchester fail to fix a legitimate problem when they were approached right but sometimes they have to be prodded a bit.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
sonofagun---

The drifting to the right bullet is easily explained. It's the effect of the rifling twist. The thicker the target board is at a hundred the more to the right the bullet will be at 200.

Two inches high at a hundred and eighteen high at 200 ain't possible on this planet. [Smile]