THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Westpac, So, I picked up a new Rem 700 SPS Tact 20" 308; what to do w/ it?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Westpac, So, I picked up a new Rem 700 SPS Tact 20" 308; what to do w/ it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
This is kind of addressed to Westpac, but all are welcome to chime in.

I won a dirt cheap bid on a new Rem 700 SPS Tactical 20" 308 Win. I want to use it as a base for a tactical rifle. I have the optics (Mk4 4.5-14x50 M1 TMR) and am getting a Nightforce soon.

Am thinking 260 Rem, 260 Rem AI, 6.5x47 Lapua or leave it in 308 win. Any other possible calibers?

What would you do with it to set it up as a tactical rifle?

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you want to do with it. The 338 Federal looks to be a good hard hitting round for that size action. But the term "Tactical" means possibly having to shoot and scoot, so in that case I would stick with a caliber that is readily available like the 308 Winchester. It's hard to beat that caliber, and the ammo is all over the place. Almost every squad car has some. Big Grin As for what to do with the one you have, use it. thumb

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jewell trigger

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup,

Jewell or Jackson CG trigger.

If on a budget; have the Wyoming triggerman clean up the Remington trigger for $35.00.

Then shoot. It will probably out shoot you.

If not, have it re-crowned.

If still not, have the barrel set back two threads and have it re-chambered in .308.

If not, start saving up for a major work over.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
A Jewell trigger on a tactical rifle? Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Tactical Rifle"; son to enter the vernacular much as "Assault rifle" did twenty five years ago; and "Saturday Night Special" the day I was born...

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
"Tactical Rifle"; soon to enter the vernacular much as "Assault rifle" did twenty five years ago; and "Saturday Night Special" the day I was born...