Find
Notify
Tools

Tang Safety Mauser. Neat gunshow find!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
They had a gun show in Southaven over the weekend. They usually don't have a lot that interest me at these anymore. Usually I pay the admission, look at all the recent production guns on the tables, eat a corndog, get heart burn and go home. I was thinking this one was going to be the usual, but then I spotted an old double trigger sporting Mauser in 8X57. The seller wanted $600 for it. I offered $400. He said the least he could take was $500. I told him all I had was $400, but I would throw in a old pocket knife if that would help animal. He said to come back in an hour and he would let me know. Not really needing the rifle I left and continued to look the tables over and then ran into a guy that had about 10 rifles on a table and saw this one. A mauser with a tang safety. I handled the rifle and asked the price. It was VERY reasonable and it didn't take much negotiating before it turned into an amazing deal. I paid the man and we were both happy.

It was just different enough to justify the purchase.

The rifle is a Voere Austrian Mauser chambered in a .30-06 and has nice slim barrel on it. On the side of the barrel it say's NATO-COUGER VOERE AUSTRIA. The action is VERY smooth and rifle seems to be well built and very tight. It looks a lot like a military M98 action, but for some reason I just don't think it's a conversion. It just seems too tight to have ever been a military arm. The inletting is a little loose, it has nasty white line spacers and skip line checkering. While the stock isn't my style, it fits good and is solid. It also has a very nice hinged bow release trigger guard, but I think it's aluminum. The only real draw back is for some reason both of the iron sights are missing out of the bases.

Who knows what the future holds for this little gem. I hope the rifle shoots good as it is for now.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got to know these guns while living in Namibia Africa... VERY nice and high quality mauser action. As you said, the white effect spacers and the skip line checkering and the aluminum in the trigger guard are all discounts to me... but the barrel action and quality of the sum... great gun and often at a cheap price because of how little people know about them. Good find!

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Yea, I got it for $300. Hell, I figured if worse came to worse. I could part it out and at least get my money back. Very unusual and my kind of weird Cool

Terry

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
terry

congrats.. that's a very nice find.

Rich

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know white line spacers and the skip-line checkering are severely out of fashion, but so are tail fins on cars.

If your eyes can stand it, and your shooting doesn't require the gun be updated, you might just leave it be.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yeti:
I know white line spacers and the skip-line checkering are severely out of fashion, but so are tail fins on cars.

If your eyes can stand it, and your shooting doesn't require the gun be updated, you might just leave it be.

Yep, I'm with ya Yeti. Besides that the stock actually fits me.

I took the barreled action out of the stock this morning. I was very surprized to see what was under the wood. The only other tang safety for a Mauser I've ever seen was about as thick as the action tang. It had a small bar coming off the tang switch that operated a Timney style trigger safety. This one is massive. Look how deep and far back the action is inletted. If someone wanted to do a bigbore I think a more conventional safety would be a must.

Terry

I really like how they did the bolt shroud.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
very interesting. the trigger appears to be a moded military unit.

rich

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
very interesting. the trigger appears to be a moded military unit.

rich

Bolt handle too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
TC1,

Isn't that black (thick) spacer (where the safety switch is located) make of plastic?

I looked at one of these too, but decided against it because parts of the mechanism were plastic, and I was afraid they'd break over time.

Still, it's a nice find.
Have fun with it.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
No, It's aluminum.

Terry

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I think that's the tang safety assembly Canjar used to make. I tried to get them to consider re-introducing it but got nowhere, even with a minimum order.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Good find at a good price too.
Have fun playing with it.

Don

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
There's a half page ad for that rifle in a 1968 GUN magazine I have. It describes the action as "A classic '98 action mauser manufactured in the pre-war German tradition"

It shows the same stock and tang safety and the price is $129.95 from LA Distributors.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
These were the good old days of gun buying:

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting list of calibers for those rifles from LA Distributors: one of the offerings is .308 Norma Magnum.

That's a great cartridge that fell into oblivion in the U.S. Same with the .358 Norma Magnum.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are pretty slick pieces. I have seen a few while living here in Alberta the past 2 1/2 years and almost bought one, cheap too. Another kick myself in the @$$ regret.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
I have one with the sights and it is in the 308 norma mag I bought it for 575 dollars I thought that was a good deal for a factory chambered 308 norma mag. One day i will find a factory chmabered 358 norma mag. I was at a gunshow in Wassila and they had one in a 300 Win mag that thing looked brand new they wanted 400 for it I should of bought but thought to myself what am I going to do with a 300 win mag LOL.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Dude, you just resurrected a two year old thread. shocker

Stay safe over there.

Forrest

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
I know bored over here nothing going so cruising the thread LOL. I have been looking for info on this rifle and weagle provided it so I thought I would chime in on mine LOL....

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote