New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finishing a Laminated Stock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, my 358 Norma Mag project is coming together, got my Pac-Nor barrel in a couple of days ago. I have sanded and finished inletting my laminated stock (Richard's Micro-Fit) and now I'm ready to finish it. Are there anything that should be done different with a laminated stock?. I was planning on staining it and then using Tung Oil finish, but wasn't sure if the Tung Oil will work as well on a laminated finish. Any advise?.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I've finished several Richards Micro-Fit laminated stocks. Sand them and Tru-Oil them -- or whatever else you prefer. As a matter of fact, I have one right now that I need to start working on.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use to use a product called Royal Seal (another product in the same line is called Armour Seal) for woodworking. If I recall correctly, it's a polyurethane / oil product -- it actually does penetrate into the wood a bit, and seals great. I have a cherry wine rack finished with it that has lived through many spills without staining. It's also hard as a rock when fully dried. In fact, it's billed as a suitable finish for wood floors.

The wood store I got it from closed, so I'm hoping to track down a new supply. If I do, I'll post again.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well that was easier than I thought it would be. I'm not sure what happened to the Royal Seal though...

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/favorites.cfm?&DID=6&sku=5339&cs=1

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On laminate I prefer a polyurathane finish as it is more waterproof than other finishes and on laminate it doesn't make a lot of difference as your not filling grain, your more or less top coating for a perfect seal....

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

That's what I was kind of thinking. I thought it might be a waste of time to go through the whole tung oil process on a laminated stock. I don't want a gloss finish, maybe a satin polyurethane finish will look OK?.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just finished a laminate in polyurethane with a brand I have used several times. It is the Pro-Custom Finish that Brownells sells. It comes in both aerosol (generous can) and also in can for rubbing on and is offered in satin and gloss. I usually get the gloss and once completley cured (couple of weeks) knock it down with a mixture of rottenstone powder and lemon oil. That yields a beautiful finish that is smooth as glass.

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the spray can of finish that ultra refers to and follow his directions, he is spot on...It is also a very fast finish...Jim Brockman also uses it....

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote