Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 99 with B&L mounts
 Login/Join

posted
Gentlemen, I have a Savage 99 with B&L kuharski qd mounts. The issue I'm having is that it shoots 6 inches low and I have bottomed out the eccentric to raise the scope up. Are there shims that should go under the scope base or should some kind of shim be put under the scope inside the rings. I have the same setup on a 700 and 742 and they work great.

Thanks,

XP708

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
You may want to turn the adjustment the other way to lower the front bell. Raising it causes the barrel to point low, thus hitting low.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would first of all center the adjustments to the focal plane of the scope, in other words twist the adjustments to their limit and count the turns then come back half way..Now your adjustments are in the middle of the focal plane and the scope will work better, be more clear etc....

Now use a shim or two to raise the front of the scope to center in your bore sighter. To lower the POI shim the rear likewise and always using the bore sighter. Alway shim under the bases, never inside the rings.

Shims can be purchased from Brownells or made out of beer cans or whatever, some even use electrical tape, but I wouldn't..

Your are required to use a bore sighter with a 99, but with a bolt rifle one can simple bore sight it on a object in the shop or yard, but thats a second best approach.

When done you should have full adjustment in every direction with both elevation and windage. and by having your scope close to center of the focal plane of the scope it will always hold adjustment better, be clearer to the edges and just better in every respect.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42015 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
If you are hitting low you have to raise the rear base or lower the front.

The easiest way is to get a set of Burris Zee rings with the tapered inserts.

Install a +.-020" the top of the front ring and -.020" insert in the bottom of the front ring.

If that isn't enough, then you can install a +.020" insert in the bottom of the rear ring and a -.020" insert in the top of the rear ring.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I had to do the same with my old Save 99. I have the two piece Kurharsky with the hole for the cocking indicator.

I have a soda can shim under the back mount.

Posts: 6446 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some years back I read about a way to center a reticle that seems much easier and more accurate than turning the dial lock to lock, counting clicks and going halfway back.

Go into a well lit bathroom turn and put the objective squarely on the surface of the mirror (turn to high power if adjustable and remove any caps or covers).

While holding it on the mirror look through the ocular end and if the reticle is not perfectly centered you will see two reticles (you may have to adjust your view to have them both appear). You simply turn the elevation & windage adjustments until the reticles are aligned and it's centered.

Posts: 1682 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote