THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Source for quality Rem 700 SA bottom metal wanted

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Source for quality Rem 700 SA bottom metal wanted
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My new to me 243 Rem 700 SPS with moderator is accurate but two things need replacing - the stock is sorted with a Mcmillan ordered

The other is a real metal floor plate/bottom metal (the original seems to be a mix of plastic and ally)

Sunny Hill is way too expensive for my taste - is there a cheaper (stainless) alternative with a contact number/web address?

TIA

one of us
posted Hide Post
WILLIAMS

You want to specify the bottom metal you're going to use when you order the McMillan stock. There are slight differences in inletting, but McMillan has all the major ones already programmed.

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gage will have bottom metal in 4140 and stainless in a few weeks. I saw the protype last week at Shilen Rifles and it is beautiful. The best part is it is only $75.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
- the stock is sorted with a Mcmillan ordered

1894mk2-

You might want to decide on your bottom metal before McMillan finishes your stock.

The different aftermarket makers will have slightly different dimensions, depending on who you go with. McMillan can inlet specifically for your chosen bottom metal.

It will save you a bunch of hassle and hand fitting later.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Bore:
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
- the stock is sorted with a Mcmillan ordered

1894mk2-

You might want to decide on your bottom metal before McMillan finishes your stock.

The different aftermarket makers will have slightly different dimensions, depending on who you go with. McMillan can inlet specifically for your chosen bottom metal.

It will save you a bunch of hassle and hand fitting later.

Unfortunately unless I want to wait 16 weeks (current production time) I have to take the standard stock 'off the shelf'

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use DD Ross bottom metal on all of my 700’s and they are bomb proof.

They are a true one piece unit...most of the others are not.

The William’s are nicely made but be aware that they are not drafted on the sides (a bitch to inlet), you have to use the longer ADL mag box, and the trigger slot has to be opened up to accept some brands of after market triggers (like Timney.)

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Never heard of it. Can you tell me more, like where can it be found and approx. cost?

Thanks,
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stu C:
quote:

Never heard of it. Can you tell me more, like where can it be found and approx. cost?

Thanks,
- stu

Brownell’s sells them, and McMillan carries them and they are set up to inlet them for you when you purchase a stock...and they ain’t cheap. They were designed for the Marine Corps M40’s. Not the best pick for a light weight sporting rifle but if you want solid, bomb proof bottom metal they are the best out there.

Badgers are a close second, and a bit cheaper...I think Sunny Hill makes those for Badger, so his model would probably be just as good.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote