Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger MK II 77 safety noise
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted
Any ideas why this safety is noisy other then basic design and is it correctible?

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the same about the model 70 Winchester safety too. I don't know what can be done about it.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I think the same about the model 70 Winchester safety too. I don't know what can be done about it.

Bob257

Noise is created in this case by friction. Depending on the degree you can get rid of it with a little grease, working it for a while or by taking the gun apart and polish the surfaces. It helped a lot on my 77s.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tang safeties are the only ones I've met that didn't have to be pinched between fingers and "eased" off to maintain silence. The only reason is the thumb captures both sides of the button and even on some of the tang safeties the internal linkage will click as it "turns over".

I guess the more positive the detent the more possibility for noise and a safety certainly needs to have positive engagement.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't find mine noisy if I place my thumb on top of the lever -- as opposed to pushing it from behind. More control = less noise.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote