Notify
Tools

How to Build a Bench Top
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
1. Pick up phone.
2. Dial local lumber yard.
3. Order a 2' wide x 4" thick Glu-Lam beam of the desire length. It's about $20/foot.

Discovered this recently in designing a gun/loading room for a friend.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
WOW never thought of that.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not here you don't. Maybe in Washington.

Posts: 17272 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my reloading bench, I built the 8' bench with 6 4x4 legs and 2x4 framework with a 3/4" plywood shelf and a 3/4" plywood top covered with a solid piece of formica countertop from Homedepot's unused rack of tops that were ordered wrong (-$100). I also put some 3/16" finished plywood around the sides and back. It has the backsplash that keeps anything from rolling off. It is he11 for stout. Love it

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or have your logger cut a big pine he wasn't suppose to take to a mill have them cut it into big slabs dry for decades then build your bench

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an entire kitchen worth of granite in my basement from when the previous owner redid the main kitchen. I've been toying around with overlaying my bench in granite and framing out the rest of the "L" for the granite. I figured it'd make a really nice cleaning station. Just trying to figure out how to drill through it to mount my presses.

Posts: 1447 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i want a bench that will automatically grab and collect spring, detents pins etc as they fly away due to gremlin like forces

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FFemtRN5287:
I have an entire kitchen worth of granite in my basement from when the previous owner redid the main kitchen. I've been toying around with overlaying my bench in granite and framing out the rest of the "L" for the granite. I figured it'd make a really nice cleaning station. Just trying to figure out how to drill through it to mount my presses.

Nice idea!
I would get a bit (same as what the granite top installers use) for $40 and drill that top for your press. It is a diamond tooth "hole saw" or call the granite installers and ask them how much to have one of their guys swing by and drill the hole, better yet find a granite guy and offer him cash and beer to drop by on his way home for 10 minutes of work.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I built my benches out of 4"x4" legs, 2x4 frame, plywood shelves and a formica top salvaged from kitchen remodels.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A used solid core door from the re-store works pretty well for the price. Some scrap steel and a few bags of concrete is pretty stout and cost effective as well:

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
The last bench I bought was a government surplus lab bench. It came pre-wired for electrical outlets and an MDF top that is 1-/12 inch thick. The best $200 I have ever spent.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

get the magnetic top model...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Butch,

Well shouldn't be to hard to make if you have a steel top.

Just get a couple of good size magnets and rub the top with them should make it some what magnetic.

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine are built from old Bowling lanes....thick good quality Maple and they were dirt cheap off of Craig's list.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Butch,

The type that's encased in a dust proof, transparent globe big enough for bench and user. That way springs, parts and pins roll to the south pole as soon as they hit the walls.

coffee Yeah, I need one of those!

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The last bench I bought was a government surplus lab bench. It came pre-wired for electrical outlets and an MDF top that is 1-/12 inch thick. The best $200 I have ever spent.

My work threw away about 100' of those a few years ago. Metal base cabinets with some sort of black stone like, chemical resistant tops. IT was had to watch it going in the dumpster.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I bought a few 3'X5' pieces of 1/2" thick plastic at the Habitat for Humanity store for $1 a piece.
Someone donated a big water tank and it was dirty so they cut it up.
I plan on doing a benchtop with it as long as it screws down flat. I think it will.
Should be super durable. That stuff is like delrin or a nylon cutting board.

Posts: 3302 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm designing a gun/loading room for a friend and he wanted a purty, solid 10' long bench. The Glu-Lam approach will do that at a fair price and a hell of a lot less time than gluing one up and having it sanded on a door sander.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Set up a router with a fence and mill a .25" groove that's .125" deep all the way around the bench to catch anything that might want to roll off.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
You can also find Corian counter tops on Craigslist. Pricing is all over the place but I have gotten some really good deals. About to make a workbench for someone else with a piece that is 6" long and has a rounded edge all around...unless she decides she wants the 8' commercial door.

Posts: 7577 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote