New
Find
Notify
Tools

Synthetic Stock for 1999 Montana Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a synthetic stock to fit a long Montana action. I'm not looking for one of the rubber covered stocks. Montana used to have links to stock makers on their site but these seem to have been removed(I might be wrong about this).
Anyway, does anyone here know if any of the synthetic stock makers produce such an item for the Montana action? Is it possible to modify a stock made for a Winchester Model 70 to fit a Montana? Thanks for any suggestions.
Mike

Posts: 97 | Location: Houston, TX USA | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeD:
Anyway, does anyone here know if any of the synthetic stock makers produce such an item for the Montana action? Is it possible to modify a stock made for a Winchester Model 70 to fit a Montana? Thanks for any suggestions.
Mike

I believe McMillan inlets for the M1999.

If you happen to get a stock inletted for a M70, there is additional inletting (bottom metal, tang etc) to make the M1999 fit.

Did you try the website for the new company (follow on for Montana Rifleman) making the M1999??

www.montanarifleco.com

Jeff Sipe from Montana Rifle Co posts here. I believe his AR username is "MontanaJeff". So you might be able to reach him by PM or regular mail.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I modified 2 Winchester stocks to fit a pair of 1999 SA's. Was pretty straight forward.

Posts: 1690 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Mcmillans inlet for the 1999 is drop in.
Very simple.
You must specify barrel weight muzzle diameter.
breech cylinder diameter and length.
You should also spec. LOP and recoil pad make and thickness. I think they only offer Pachmeyer so if you want other than that,better send it with your work order.
Many different shapes to choose from.

I'm finishing two 1999 montanas a 338 and 30-06.
The Mcmillans fit excellant. I did opt to add some Maurine Tex at the recoil lug and rear screw on each.
Very happy with the way those went together.
Timan

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for chiming in. I will review the Mcmillan sight for info.
Regards, Mike

Posts: 97 | Location: Houston, TX USA | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Borden Rimrock on my Montana. I like it a lot.

mkane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Last time I spoke to Borden, close to a year ago, they told me they weren't selling stocks anymore unless they built the rifle.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To clarify, I bought my Borden about 4-5 years ago. Didn't know they weren't making them for individual sale anymore. Thanks, John....

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeD:
Thanks to everyone for chiming in. I will review the Mcmillan sight for info.
Regards, Mike

There is also the D'Arcy Echols "Legend" McMillan. You can only buy it through D'Arcy and I don't think they have it listed on the site.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not buy a Bell and Carlson stock. I bought one and it was defective. I sent it back to them and they sent me another one and it is defective. They give you the run around. Can't get the name of anyone who is a decision maker. It's their policy to not give out names. I said I would like to talk to the person who is the policy maker and they said I would like that too, but it ain't happening.

I paid shipping to have the first defective stock sent to me, then paid shipping to get it back to them. Now they want me to pay shipping to get this one back. I asked them how long do we play this game. I expected to pay shipping on the first one and maybe even the second one. However, I could have more money invested in shipping charges than the cost of the stock. I sent an email yesterday and will see if I get a response.

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
Lone Wolf Rifle stocks is the company that MRC uses for their production rifles.

http://www.lonewolfriflestocks.com/

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your search results in frustration, by no means choose a Richards Micro-fit. Just don't...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote